Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #71 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Usually you should wait a year or two before you start jumping. My cousin rode her whole life western and still rode english every day before she jumped. I feel bad for horses whose riders are moving too fast and aren't doing stuff right.
Thanks Pog for the advice, i really appreciate advice from knowledgable people like you!

I have been riding for almost 3 years, and have recently started learning english. I wasn't going to start doing verticals, just small ground poles or cross poles. I agree with you, i have a weak heart for anything horse-related :)

I always worry about the horses because of the bits in their mouths. I also hate kicking horses for any reason, because i feel it is abuse, but my coach thinks differently unfortunately :(-we only kick on the SUPER stubborn ones

Thanks for all the advice!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #72 
Pogthefish

Np ^_^ I LOVE western :D I haven't ridden in awhile tho cuz the one western horse at our barn has asthma D: Good luck! Btw, kicking doesn't hurt them unless you have spurs or something. I had one instructor who always wore cowboy boots with spurs just for decoration, but whenever she got on to show me soemthing, the horse would jump >_<

so yeah ^_^ good luck
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #73 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Np ^_^ I LOVE western :D I haven't ridden in awhile tho cuz the one western horse at our barn has asthma D: Good luck! Btw, kicking doesn't hurt them unless you have spurs or something. I had one instructor who always wore cowboy boots with spurs just for decoration, but whenever she got on to show me soemthing, the horse would jump >_<

so yeah ^_^ good luck
Thanks! I LOVE western!

Thanks for telling me it dosent hurt them!

Asthma? POOR BABY!

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #74 
Pogthefish

Yeah, I feel so bad for him :( He also can't shed his coat in the summer so I give him lots of baths :D

so yeah, good luck! ^_^ once you get to it, jumping is AWESOME!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #75 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Yeah, I feel so bad for him :( He also can't shed his coat in the summer so I give him lots of baths :D

so yeah, good luck! ^_^ once you get to it, jumping is AWESOME!
Poor guy! The QH i had had a THICK coat that was always confused with the weather...it would shed and then grow back the same week..i would fill 1/4 of a barrel with just his hair per brushing...i could have made a blanket lol

EEEEKkk! Excited to start jumping! i won't be competing or doing large jumps, just as a fun thing to do because i always get REALLY nervous when horses jump, not for myself, but because i am always afraid they will miss and hurt themselves beyond repair

Thats why i am sticking to rissoles and VERY small verticals(like 2 feet) :D
Old 08-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #76 
Pogthefish

2 feet s pretty big for a beginner, I had been jumping 6 months before I did 2 feet. A good way to start is cantering ground poles, then do 6 inches, then a foot, ect.

Trust me, two feet may look small, but when you're cantering up to it, it magically grows.

will you have riding instructor with you?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #77 
Sundancex

Pog, you should clip his coat if he doesn't shed out well. Also some bloodwork is in order to test for IR and Cushings. With meds and management it can be managed, but without there is potential for the horse to founder in the future.

2 ft isn't really that big. My QH tends to just step over stuff that size or smaller. It isn't a bad size to start with as long as the rider has a solid seat.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #78 
Sundancex

Oh, and kicking a horse certainly DOES hurt them. Especially if it is a big, take your leg off all the way up to your knee then WHAM! type of kick. If you have to kick your horse you should be going back to basics as there are holes in the horse's or your training. Start doing w/t transitions to get the horse more responsive, and add a crop. Walk, ask for a trot with a squeeze, if the horse doesn't trot, stop squeezing and take the pressure off. Then try again with the reinforcement of the crop. The horse will learn that if he isn't listening to your aids they get reinforced by something else. Just kicking them leads to a horse dead to your aids.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #79 
Pogthefish

Usually I start with squeezing and if they don't listen, I kick to get their attention and squeeze again. Also, I guess everyonee does stuff different.

btw, the horse belongs to my barn, not me, so they are handlng him and I am not getting in the way, I just feel bad for him in the heat and give him baths.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #80 
Armani33

MyRainbowBettaFish I don't even use a bit I ride Summer in a hackamore which is a type of bitless bridle amd it works just as good.
Armani33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clydesdale, horse, horseback riding, horses, quarter horse