Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Put an african dwarf frog with my betta?
yes 7 53.85%
no 5 38.46%
absolutly not! 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #1 
ldkoops

Exclamation betta and african dwarf frog?

so i got a new betta and I have had him for a month or so. He seems to be happy and pretty calm tempered. When you hold a mirror up to him it takes him forever to puff up and sometimes he kind of swims away and hides from the mirror. I have had many other bettas before this one and I also had african dwarf frogs with every one of them and they seemed fine. Is it ok to put my betta with an african dwarf frog? what size of tank should I get?
ldkoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You could put them together. You need like a 10 gallon tank to keep them together. 3 gallons per ADF.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #3 
TipBetta

They should be fine with at least a 5 gallon tank.
TipBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #4 
Anitax3x

I have an AF in with my betta in a ten heavily planted and filtered ten gallon. They have been fine for the past 3 or so months.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #5 
JennybugJennifer

I have personal experience with this. One Betta tried to bite him and hurt him so I placed him with my other less aggressive one and it worked perfect until mr.frog started starving because mr.pearl piggy butt ate EVERYTHING XD I wouldn't recommend it
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #6 
Anitax3x

I usually distract my male when feeding, the adf does well. Unless they can live 3 months without feeding and I havent figured it out yet lol
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Could you take the frog out and feed him ? I dont have no just wondering they sound like awesome little frogs !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

No offense to the "fine in a 5 gallon" but please remember there is not enough room for two in a 5 unless it's divided tank for two bettas. Frogs poop too, y'know ADFs can become very stressed if they are close to a possible predator, without having sufficient hiding space. Mine liked to do sky-diving poses in the plants and under rocks :) I had him in a 10 with my betta, and even then he still munched my betta's tail.... Very important to have sufficient space to meet the demands of both critters.

Feeding: Fast sinking pellets, or even using a thin baster to grab a flake or whatever and "spit it out" infront of his face... That is what I did. I distracted my male, and either plopped down bottom feeder wafers, sometimes greens, and flakes/pellets through a baster to my froggy.

Aggression: They are generally friendly, but like I mentioned they may munch the fins... So allow enough space for both! Bettas can be poops too, so give hiding spots and soft or real plants. Make sure to get ADF and NOT the African Clawed who get bigger and are much more aggressive.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #9 
ldkoops

Unhappy

Well it didn't go so well i got 2 frogs and put them in tank with my fish. They were fine together for a couple days then lastnight the fish started niping at them and chasing them so i took the fish out of the tank because i was scared he was going to kill them
ldkoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

How much coverage do you have? Like.... low plants, hidey holes, etc?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
african dwarf frog, betta, heehee, help!