Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #1 
Sapphoira

White scum growing on tank sides?

Hi all! I am relatively new to aquarium keeping, but am an avid betta fan and recently set up a couple of tanks for my beautiful fish. Just the other day I got a new one, and today I noticed something odd inside the tank. There is this white, slimy grunge in a couple of patches on the inside of my tank. The fish has only been in the tank for about a day, after I let the filter cycle for 24 hours and monitored the ph and temperature of the water. I just checked all my levels, and everything seems to be within normal/ideal params. My betta is acting healthy and happy, he has even built a bubble nest already! A little bit of information regarding my setup:

Tank : 2.5g Aqueon tank (built in pretty low flow filter)
Small heater, temperature sits around 78-80 degrees depending on how warm the room is in.
I use Seachem's Prime water conditioner

I feed freeze dried bloodworms twice daily, only a few pieces and remove anything left over after a couple of minutes. (granted, this has only occurred for 1 day since that is how long the fish has been in the aquarium!)

I use black aquarium substrate sand for the floor

Live plants - umbrella plant and peacock fern (which I realized after I put them in that they are not fully aquatic... perhaps a plant change is in my future!)

I do not have any algae eaters, as it was recommended to me that I only get them after I have built up algae.

I have attached 2 pictures of the scuzz! It almost looks like when you rip a sticker off something and there's some paper left behind.. except it's not :)

Any advice would be appreciated!
Attached Images

Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #2 
Sapphoira

Is this the correct section to post this in?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #3 
SparklE fin

That scum is actually things like shedded skin etc. They won't hurt your betta, directly. However they are very high in nutrition and rot quickly. So its best to scrub it off. I read about this a while ago so I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #4 
Sapphoira

Ok thanks! I figured it might be something like that, and should be removed :) I just didn't want it to be some horrible rare fungus that will kill my beautiful fishy!