Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

I just need to apologize (rant)

I really don't want to turn this into a debate, but I need to apologize if at ANY time on this site, anyone sees me become "rude" or "upset" at someone. Particularly at someone who is young. This is sparked from many posts I;ve seen on here, on sim sites, and on tumblr.

I am unable to put into account someone's age for how they care for a fish. I don't feel like age should be a reason for someone to be unresponsible or neglectful in care. YES, it's understandable if they are not knowledagble. But having knowledge and being young are two different things.

I know that children around the age of ten now are getting their cell phones and laptops. I have an eleven year old sister and she has a phone, ipod, AND laptop, and I had to wait til I was 16! She knows how to research. She knows how to pick up a book and find the answers she needs. She knows how to care for herself.

My mom just had a baby, who is 10 months old ATM, and when I'm off at college, she, my 17 year old sister AND 11 year old sister care for him. Why, she already knows how to change a diaper! We also have 2 dogs and 2 birds that she helps to care for. I don't see why owning a fish should be too much of a hardship for younger children.

I don't know how everyone gets their fish, whether it's by crying and screaming for a parent to buy you one, or whether it's researching it and getting one, but caring for it shouldn't be any different. I doubt parents are going to spend $50 on a fish and a tank (plus decor), and then claim that they won't help you, only to let your fish die.

Pets should help show responsiblity, something everyone has to earn in their life. And being young and having your own pet means your parents TRUST you. So, why claim that you despise your parents because they won't let you do anything? Why go against your parents and talk bad behind your back? Take out the excuses. Tell us that you just don't want to clean the tank everyday, not "well, my parents gave me too big of a tank and it wastes water and my sister had a tank and she never cleaned it and the fish lived."

I just, wish sometimes that people could behind the excuses and just admit the truth...

Please understand, by NOOOOO means does this mean I hate those younger than me. Because I don't. I enjoy learning from the next generation. It's just that I've been seeing a trend where I am, and it upsets me. I'm sure you're all smart and awesome, so don't be afraid to show it :)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

What I'm wondering is where do these 11 and 12 year old kids get the money to buy all kinds of fish stuff or buy expensive fish off of Aquabid. I NEVER had any money when I was that age. My friend and I each had a dollar to buy penny and nickel candy and split a grape soda.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #3 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Scientific studies have shown that the younger generations (people who are around 25 or younger now) have much much higher rates of narcissism than previous generations. Just sayin' .. . .I think I read it in Scientific American Mind magazine about a year ago.

Now that doesn't mean everyone here is like that. I read so many cute stories of people wanting to take good care of their fish.. ..
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #4 
sparkyjoe

I don't think you're alone in your frustrations. I too am sometimes amazed by the posts I read. But I am also impressed by some of the younger members who have lots of knowledge and show an impressive maturity.

In this age of electronic, almost faceless, communication I feel it's even more important that we take care in what we write and assume nothing about the author of what we read.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #5 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Also, if we're apologizing, I want to apologize because I got reprimanded for cursing a few weeks ago. I didn't realize how many young people were on here and I was mad at the time but now I feel really bad. :(
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #6 
Aus

Quote:
But having knowledge and being young are two different things.
I just have to say that I've had my socks knocked off a couple of times this week, on discovering that several of the people whose advice I value here are around the same age as my daughter, or even a couple of years younger!

It's wonderful to see such maturity and thoughtfulness. Kudos to you, young fish-keepers. I wish I'd my act together half as much, at your age.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #7 
toad

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
Scientific studies have shown that the younger generations (people who are around 25 or younger now) have much much higher rates of narcissism than previous generations.
Well that's depressing >.<
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Our generation sucks.
Al, you have a great family. You have to understand that not all children have great families with supportive parents. The world is a harsh place, and when you get down to things, lots of parents just don't care enough about their children. Lots of parents these days won't even sit down and read to their child, just buy those electronic books.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #9 
Calypso77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Our generation sucks.
Al, you have a great family. You have to understand that not all children have great families with supportive parents. The world is a harsh place, and when you get down to things, lots of parents just don't care enough about their children. Lots of parents these days won't even sit down and read to their child, just buy those electronic books.
Posted via Mobile Device
This makes me sad. Why have children if you can't spend your time on them. The world is a harsh place sad but true.

I hope if there are any kids on here like this, that they feel they can get kindness and support and such on here. There are so many good people on here young and old.

Everyone has their faults, everyone has their breaking points, not everyone is going to agree on everything and that is ok, nothing wrong with that at all it is all apart of life and who we are but it's at the end of the day when all members can put a disagreement behind them and move on that shows what great people we have here.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #10 
TheCrabbyTabby

I was very fortunate to have a mother and father who would read to me and tell me bed time stories when I was young, then helped me to read when I was learning to read. Even my older brother helped to teach me. Then again, he has always been mature for his age. An old soul as my mother says.

Parents these days seem to be lazy or distracted more easily. They just buy their kids fancy electronic teaching toys and then themselves go off and blog, text their friends, or play on their smart phone.

Not to say all parents are like this. But I see it more and more.

I want to apologize if I have offended anyone since my joining. I surely didn't intend to do so. Sometimes my anger management problems seep through to the internet. I know that its not really an excuse, but its just so easy to hide behind a screen name and yell at someone from the behind "safety" of the net.

I was told once, "Don't say anything on the internet that you wouldn't say within slapping distance of someone in real life." and I've held that to be so true to myself and others getting along online.

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 07-17-2012 at 08:47 AM.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote