Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #11 
lelei

It really looks like he is just resting..my Sammy does this too..if you see strange behaviour like struggling to get to the top..then it would be a problem, but I think he's enjoying that plant..that is very cute:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #12 
Seki

He is not struggling to get to the top, but he is struggling to stay away from the top. He is floating, and it's clear he has to really fight to get down from the top. He always floats right back up. Does anyone have any insight as to why he can't seem to stop floating? Like I said, his belly is very slightly bloated, and he does drift onto his side a bit at times, but this really doesn't look like dropsy to me (although I admit I have never seen it before, just read about it). He has figured out how to pin himself underwater with the help of his plants, so he has been doing that, but why would he be so... buoyant?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #13 
meimei

If he's bloated and floating, it sounds like swim bladder disease. Is he pooping normally? Maybe he's just constipated and it's making him bloat.
meimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #14 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimei View Post
If he's bloated and floating, it sounds like swim bladder disease. Is he pooping normally? Maybe he's just constipated and it's making him bloat.
You treat that with Epsom salt right?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #15 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimei View Post
I try to make a habit of getting him to flare at least once or twice a day so that he'll poo. He has a very sensitive stomach, I am finding. I might have to go to live food for him, I have never seen a fish who bloats as easily as mine does. I am thinking it is swim bladder disease as well, although the funny thing is... he flared last night and seemed to be better after that. He was exploring the bottom of his tank again and hiding under his bridge (which he loves). But then, just before I was going to bed, he ended up floating again and once again seemed to have a hard time getting down and staying down at the bottom of the tank. He is still floating now, and he still looks slightly bloated. Sometimes he still sort of floats up sideways, although he always corrects himself very quickly.

EDIT: Of course, right after I typed that, he swam right down and is nosing at his thermometer and having no trouble staying down there. Can this thing come and go? Maybe he is accidentally swallowing air at times? Sheik! Why you worry me?! LOL

Last edited by Seki; 07-18-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #16 
Seki

OMG Please help! He got a LOT worse! His belly is suddenly more bloated, and I have no idea why, he's not been fed in two days! He can't seem to stay upright in the water, he keeps floating on his side at the top! I'm really upset and worried, can anyone help me? PLEASE!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #17 
Seki

This is how swollen he is and what he looks like lying on his side.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

ok... take a deeeep breath, prepare an epsom salt solution 3tsp/ gallon I believe, pre dissolve this and pour it in slowly into the tank he is in...ie. if he's in a half gallon dissolves 3 tsps in a bit of water and pour half of that in. dont forget your water conditioner... I'm going to read the rest of your post right now...

dont panic!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #19 
lelei

Take him out and put in ahospital tank and start epsom salt treatmeent..also pm OFL..she could help yu best..Old Fish Lady..do yu have akrittr keeper? & some epsom salt?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #20 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Do you have a something smaller you could put him like a gallon and some treatments with Epsom salt ? I think its 1 teaspoon to a gallon . You could do a search here and find out more about it, the Epsom salt I know helps with bloating. Look up Epsom salt treatments for bloating and so sorry your Betta is not feeling well..sending him good wishes to get better soon !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote