Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #21 
ao
TFK Moderator

ok, a few things for bloat/ constipation. if he will still eat feed him some frozen daphnia if you can get your hands on it. Also see if he will flare, as this generally helps with constipation. Is the source water the same as usual or is there a chance the PH could have been altered?
One more question, did you observe your fish carefully before the water change and he was completely 100% fine or is there the possibility that he was bloated before the water change?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #22 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
ok... take a deeeep breath, prepare an epsom salt solution 3tsp/ gallon I believe, pre dissolve this and pour it in slowly into the tank he is in...ie. if he's in a half gallon dissolves 3 tsps in a bit of water and pour half of that in. dont forget your water conditioner... I'm going to read the rest of your post right now...

dont panic!
Wouldnt it be bttr to isolate him in a hospital tank?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #23 
Seki

I have a half gallon that he was in originally. I took out the gravel and the plant, though. Is epsom salt just regular epsom salt? or does it need to be special somehow? Can I get it from the grocery store?

EDIT: I have gotten him to flare and he seems to be pooing... bubbles? I'm not really sure, but it looks like he trails bubbles from his bum. But he doesn't seem to react to the mirror so much anymore. He still darts around, but I think he is getting sort of tired out from feeling icky. He has to take time to rest at the top of the tank...

Last edited by Seki; 07-18-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #24 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
I have a half gallon that he was in originally. I took out the gravel and the plant, though. Is epsom salt just regular epsom salt? or does it need to be special somehow? Can I get it from the grocery store?
regular plain epsom salt with no additives. Predissolve 1tsp in a bit of water and slowly add this to the 1/2 gallon over an hour or so. you will need to clean out this 1/2 gallon fairly often.... how's the temperature in there?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #25 
Seki

The 1/2 gallon isn't filled with water right now, though I can do that. I have a small heater, but it is going to be too much for a 1/2 gallon tank, it'll overheat it. He is alone in his 2.5 gallon, is it okay to leave him in there? Moving him is gonna stress him out a LOT, I think.

I am so worried, but I have to leave for work in about half an hour. Is there anything I can do for him before I leave?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #26 
ao
TFK Moderator

it is completely fine to leave him in there unless you suspect something in the water has caused his condition. you can prepare the epsom salt for a 2 gallon (you said you didnt pour in the last 1/2 gallon right?) and slowly mix that in his current tank. May be see if you can grab frozen daphnia while you are out today...

As for the 1/2 gallon, you can test your smaller heater. see if the temperature stays safe and stable over a period of time. I used a 25w adjustable in a 1/2 which worked out fine. I really cant think of needing the 1/2g though :O
Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #27 
Seki

Quote:
ok, a few things for bloat/ constipation. if he will still eat feed him some frozen daphnia if you can get your hands on it. Also see if he will flare, as this generally helps with constipation. Is the source water the same as usual or is there a chance the PH could have been altered?
One more question, did you observe your fish carefully before the water change and he was completely 100% fine or is there the possibility that he was bloated before the water change?
He seemed to be just fine before the water change. He might have been very slightly bloated, he seems to get that way frequently, but if so, it was nothing hugely noticeable. It was a very mild bloat. I am very concerned that he has grown more bloated after he has not been fed. Could he be swallowing air? I am so confused he keeps pooing bubbles...

I can't get any daphnia for him today. I am working until after the pet store is closed, and I'm afraid I can't miss work. I depend on this job for my insurance... The water was the exact same as always, straight from the tap and conditioned with NutraFin water conditioner. It was let to sit in the same room to become the same temperature as the other water for many hours.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #28 
Seki

Quote:
it is completely fine to leave him in there unless you suspect something in the water has caused his condition. you can prepare the epsom salt for a 2 gallon (you said you didnt pour in the last 1/2 gallon right?) and slowly mix that in his current tank. May be see if you can grab frozen daphnia while you are out today...

As for the 1/2 gallon, you can test your smaller heater. see if the temperature stays safe and stable over a period of time. I used a 25w adjustable in a 1/2 which worked out fine. I really cant think of needing the 1/2g though :O
I did end up putting in the last 1/2 gallon because he was doing so much better last night. He seemed back to his normal self, so I carefully poured the last half gallon in cup by cup, against the wall just like lelei suggested. he didn't seem to become disturbed by the last bit of water. The temperature is staying steady in his tank between 77 and 78 degrees.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #29 
lelei

Yea..he needs shallow amt of water..so he can getvto surface easier.. Hope yur lil guy gets bettr soon (1/2 gal will b fine for treatment)..keep us updated..Best wishrs to yu both:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #30 
ao
TFK Moderator

There isnt any chance that the water left to sit was exposed to household chemicals is there? I usually mix my water to the right temp straight from the tap... >.<
The daphnia isnt compulsory, but the salt is :O I'm kind
of glad that I havent had a bloat prone
fish yet.

As for the pooping bubbles... I have no idea what a fish fart means.. maybe it 's his way of readjusting his swim bladder. I know goldfish can do that.