Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #31 
lelei

If yur afraid to stress him whichbit may..then treatment..would be ok..lower the water level tho..just in case..yu want him to be able to reach the surface without difficulty
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #32 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
If yur afraid to stress him whichbit may..then treatment..would be ok..lower the water level tho..just in case..yu want him to be able to reach the surface without difficulty

hey leilei, OP's betta has a sb issue which is causing the fish to float to the top. he should be fine without lowered water levels :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #33 
meimei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
He seemed to be just fine before the water change. He might have been very slightly bloated, he seems to get that way frequently, but if so, it was nothing hugely noticeable. It was a very mild bloat. I am very concerned that he has grown more bloated after he has not been fed. Could he be swallowing air? I am so confused he keeps pooing bubbles...
Seki, this sounds like what's happening to my Epsilon! I wrote about Epsi's issues in my thread here. I've been keeping Epsilon in epsom salt and on a fasting-between-brine-shrimp-feedings diet and some API general cure. He occasionally still swells up randomly, even after fasting, but it goes away after a few hours. I think the epsom salt helps a lot! For all we know we just have gassy fish. :)
meimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #34 
Seki

I put in 3tsp of epsom salt, but I just realized I put them in mixed with a tiny bit of tap water. Is this going to kill him? O_O
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #35 
ao
TFK Moderator

nah, but you can put in some water conditioner just to be sure
Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #36 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimei View Post
Seki, this sounds like what's happening to my Epsilon! I wrote about Epsi's issues in my thread here. I've been keeping Epsilon in epsom salt and on a fasting-between-brine-shrimp-feedings diet and some API general cure. He occasionally still swells up randomly, even after fasting, but it goes away after a few hours. I think the epsom salt helps a lot! For all we know we just have gassy fish. :)
Oh, and he is doing okay? Has he been having any issues with floating to the top at all?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #37 
Seki

I am headed for work, guys, thanks for all your help! I will update everyone when I get home. Please pray for Sheik!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #38 
ao
TFK Moderator

Ok! dont stress! have a nice day!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #39 
meimei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
Oh, and he is doing okay? Has he been having any issues with floating to the top at all?
He has some, as I was originally treating him for what I thought was a swim bladder issue. But he seems to be swimming about 90% normally now, with the occasional float to the top. Otherwise, he seems pretty good! He's actually been checking out the fake plants I put in his QT tank and exploring, which is way better than just hanging out at the top of his tank.

I hope your little guy gets better soon! I'll be keeping him in my thoughts. :)
meimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #40 
Seki

Okay, no luck yet... he's been on the epsom salt since I left for work. He is still just as bloated and floating. He seems kind of... depressed. He is still swimming and all, but I think he just cannot poo. Like I said before, he seriously seems to have swallowed air or be gassy or something... does anyone think giving him a pellet would be bad? Or giving him a single bloodworm? I wonder if he needs help passing all the air out or something? Oh, this is worrying me so much :( My poor little dude...