Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #51 
teeneythebetta

If I were you, I'd put him in a betta cup, then put the heater in. Wait awhile and check the temperature.. I the temp is fine, float his cup in the tank for 30 mins so he can get used to the new temp, then release him.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #52 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
If I were you, I'd put him in a betta cup, then put the heater in. Wait awhile and check the temperature.. I the temp is fine, float his cup in the tank for 30 mins so he can get used to the new temp, then release him.
Catching him in a cup freaks him out horribly, I would rather not do that right now. He is so stressed and he is having such a hard time... I'd rather not do anything to upset him any further for the moment... he is struggling so much...
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #53 
Seki

Okay, a new symptom seems to have shown up! His poo appears to be white and stringy, and it floats at the top of his tank! Should I remove this poo with a cup? What does it mean if it's white and stringy?

EDIT: My poor baby has developed a stress line on his body and his gills are a bit red. Are these really bad signs? I feel so awful for him... I don't want him to die!

Last edited by Seki; 07-18-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #54 
meimei

White stringy poo usually means parasites, and if they're internal parasites they're probably causing the bloating, too.. It's a good thing you already have him on epsom salt! Epsom salt is a conservative treatment for parasites. It probably won't hurt to try an anti-parasite medication like API general cure or one of the Jungle anti-parasite products, but someone else more knowledgeable than me may know more.
meimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #55 
lelei

Have yu PM'd OFL..she will know what to do..give it a try..I am praying forbyur lil fishy:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #56 
teeneythebetta

I have on hand some medication called maracyn 2. It treats internal parasites, one of the things it treats is discolored gills. I had an outbreak of parasites in my sorority and my current girl had white stringy poo once they were separated. This medication is used to treat for 5 days (or longer if signs continue) and she is happy & healthy now. It's about $6 or $7 at petsmart.

With this medication and Epsom salt, it should knock out those parasites. Also try to find anti-parasite pellets (jungle's is a good brand). They don't sell them @ petco or petsmart but maybe your LPS will have some.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #57 
Seki

@meimei - He has pooed a LOT over the evening and through this morning. The epsom salt seems to have helped him quite a bit, and he is basically back to his old self. Slightly bloated, but no longer floating!

@lelei - yes, I PM'd OFL and she is helping me. She is fantastic, thank you so much for telling me to PM her, she recommended a course of treatment for my little Sheik! I am hoping to get to the petstore today and get what he needs (assuming my brother comes to pick up his dog... maybe I'll take the dog with me LOL)

@teeneythebetta - I will look into that, thank you! He actually has a huge string of poo still attached to him right now, it's as long as his body! He can't seem to get it to detach. IDK if this means anything, but he keeps "biting" at the surface... I dunno if he's comping at bubbles or what, but... he's been doing it this whole time. This wouldn't have anything to do with why he's floating (which he's not anymore), right?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #58 
deso

If he's still eating well, you can medicate his food with Metronidazole. Ingesting meds is far superior to medicating the water in the case of internal parasites. It's sold online from the Seachem brand. Just mix a scoop of the powder and some water in a bottle cap and let a pellet soak in the mixture for 20 minutes or so. Treatment is supposed to be for 14 consecutive days if you do decide to go this route. The Jungle Anti-Parasite pellets do exactly the same thing, but they must taste pretty foul because I've heard a lot of people saying that their fish won't eat them.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #59 
lelei

So glad to hear the good news, sounds like with all the poo he's getting rid of, and the parasites, is helping:) I am so glad you got the help he needed:) I may stock up on some of this stuff, just in case..
Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #60 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
If he's still eating well, you can medicate his food with Metronidazole. Ingesting meds is far superior to medicating the water in the case of internal parasites. It's sold online from the Seachem brand. Just mix a scoop of the powder and some water in a bottle cap and let a pellet soak in the mixture for 20 minutes or so. Treatment is supposed to be for 14 consecutive days if you do decide to go this route. The Jungle Anti-Parasite pellets do exactly the same thing, but they must taste pretty foul because I've heard a lot of people saying that their fish won't eat them.

What if you soak these ones^^ in Garlic..would that help, since where that is recommended for fishy's who won't eat..