Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #61 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
What if you soak these ones^^ in Garlic..would that help, since where that is recommended for fishy's who won't eat..
It might work, great idea! If OP decides to use the Jungle Anti-Parasite food, he (or she?) should definitely try that.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #62 
meimei

I'm so glad to hear your little guy is feeling better! That sounds like the same course of symptoms Epsilon went through--he stopped floating recently and is just now getting over the bloating. Out of curiosity, what else did OFL prescribe? I wanna know just in case Epsilon has a recurrence.
meimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #63 
Seki

She said get some terrin for him and 10-14 days of epsom salt. He said heat his tank a bit, which I plan to do, and do a 25% water change 4 times in an hour with the water steeped with tannin. I can't find the tannin, but I am treating him with epsom salts. She also said mosquito larvae would be good for him, but sadly we are in a drought around here, and there is no standing water for the mosquitos to lay their eggs and whatnot.

Ugh, I am getting so frustrated, guys. Once again he has swelled up and is floating at the top. He has still not eaten one bit in three days... I am resting him in the darkness for now because he always seems to be better after a night of rest. maybe resting in the darkness for now will help him? I am seriously running out of ideas. I am still working on finding the IAL or Oak Leaves, although my conditioner has IAL in it.

I don't know how much more I can do for this fish. I get this feeling he might have had something wrong with him when I got him from Petco. He can't seem to keep this bloating thing down. :(
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #64 
meimei

Epsilon did the same thing. He would seem to be fine, and then out of nowhere, bloat like crazy and start floating. But he's about 90% okay now and I'm even starting to get him on a normal feeding schedule and fade out the epsom salts and meds. I felt exactly the way you do now a couple of nights ago; like I had no idea if I could help him anymore. :/ *hugs*

If Sheik has the same thing that Epsilon did, I think he'll pull through with just keeping up your water changes and following what OFL outlined. Good luck!
meimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #65 
Seki

I don't know if he's gonna make it... He is pale and still hugely bloated, floating on his side. I came home from work to discover that the air in the house had been turned down and his tank was at a shockingly cold 72 degrees, so he's got a heater going in there right now, but it might be too little too late. He is still active, precious little thing, and I am so thankful I don't see any pineconing that would signify dropsy, but... -sigh- I'll keep you guys updated. If he passes... I'll make sure and let you guys know. :(

Thanks again for all the help and support. The people on this forum are awesome.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #66 
lelei

I was wondering how your lil guy is doing..I just made a post for most of us..who dont know what to treat our fish with if they get sick..and I just ordered the IAL from ebay..just in case..and some other medicines that I heard work real well for some of these diseases that our fishy's get..I hope you can get a hold of some or if possible order some from e-bay express overnight..they are like 3$ a bag of 20..

and I saw a med called Furan, and Maracyn that is good for what your fish has, but I AL is best for the tannins..I remember OFL always suggesting that..In any case If I get mine first I will be happy to give you some and help your lil guy..(hugs) I hope he gets better:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #67 
Seki

I really appreciate the offer, Lelei. Sadly, I don't know that he's going to make it. I haven't given up, I'm still doing everything I can for him, but he's not looking great. His bloat has gone down and he's not floating anymore, but now he's hanging in the water almost vertically. Very lethargic, clamped fins... I think he may be a sad result of poor breeding... he has never been able to handle food well without bloating up like a balloon, and this mystery illness has been plaguing him for four days now. I just don't know how much his little body can take. He's fighting, poor thing, but I dunno how much more he can take. Such a shame, he was coloring beautifully... his fins were turning this gorgeous bright red, and his belly is silver and so pretty.

I took these pictures just a little bit ago. You can sorta see how icky he is feeling...

Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #68 
lelei

Oh, that poor baby..that is sad, I hope he can bounce back, sometimes they do, he knows he's being taken care of, and loved..I will continue to pray for him, he's a fighter, keep on Sheik..you can beat this..
Old 07-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #69 
Seki

Okay, guys, losing hope on this one... He's stopped eating and he's extremely lethargic. Fins are clamped and I noticed today one of his gills is not closing all the way anymore. We had another bloating episode last night, though he didn't end up floating, just lying at the bottom with that big bloated belly of his.

I went to Petsmart today and had them test my water to find out if I was doing something wrong. They said my water was great, tested out clear of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, so it's apparently not the water or anything. The employee sold me some bettafix, even though I was skeptical, and said if nothing else it couldn't hurt. But now I am reading some bad things about bettafix... what do you guys think? Should I put it in there? The employee claimed it had helped some of his bettas who had been lethargic and not eating, but... I am wary. If Sheik is already sick, I don't want to do anything to make him worse.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #70 
lelei

Oh no, I would PM OFL again, because I heard that anything with Fix in it could make matters worse..and it does not sound good, so check in with her, for the best advise..I am sooo sorry to hear that he is not doing well, I wish I could do more..:(