Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #1 
TuckerLove

Marineland Tanks?

Im getting another Betta soon, but I also am getting another tank. I am now financially capable of supporting all mine :) I am going to turn my closet into my betta room. I want to put one on my desk that I will be getting soon. I cant decide between 3-4 tanks. I want some advice.

This one is available in either 3 or 5 gal

This is the classic 4 gal

This is the 5 gal..Not to sure If im liking the shape.

Anyone have any of these? Id love to see them decorated! Also, with any of these can I have tank mates? If not, no problem.
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

I personally would recommend the Top Fin 5.5 gal aquarium from petsmart. It's the standard rectangle shape. :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I have the 5 gallon Hex and I love it and so does Perseus he is having a blast swimming around and loves to explode the bottom where I have two caves for him, I also have a tall silk plant in there and a floating Betta Log he loves that too. I have it sitting on my desk and I like that you can see all the way around it with no problem. Good luck with whatever you decide on !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

Thumbs up

I also have one of the Maineland hex tanks. Persoanlly, I do not like the hex shape BUT since its taller then wider - It fits nicely on a desk or dresser and Sluggles seems to love it :D The lighting is nice and the filter has the biowheel so when you change the cartridge you won't loose the bacteria because they will be in the biowheel. You may need to baffle the outflow though.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #5 
Twilight Storm

I have the Marineland corner tank. I like it so far, but I have only been using a used one for about a month.

My hood design looks a little bit different from the one above. I am not sure if it is the angle of the picture or if it is because my tank is older then the version pictured above.

I upgraded my baby betta into this tank and yes the outflow can be a little bit strong, but there is a fairly large compartment to place a sponge in the outflow box. You need to lift the hood to feed, but it is on a hinge so it really is not a problem.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #6 
MSG

The top fin 5.5G is a good recommendation. Acrylic seems nice until you scratch it.

Also LED is great for fake plants, but if you plan on growing live plants, you will need a real light source.

I have the Marineland Hex. From the scratches left from the original owner, I've decommissioned it to a storage device for aquarium related accessories.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #7 
Bambi

I'm a fan of the old school rectangle tank look. xD So my vote is for the second(or the top fin version that Fin mentioned...though I believe on the five gal(out here anyway) you need to buy the hood and all that separately, so if you wanted a full set not sure which is better cost wise.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #8 
Aurie

I bought the 32.99 (on sale) Topfin 5.5 with the lid and I love it. I have it with a sponge filter instead of the filter it comes with (it's not terrible, but not adjustable) .. Only room for a single light, but you can easily fit a mini florescent in it like the CF23EL like I use :)
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #9 
Freyja
Banned

The Marineland Hex was on the daily deal yesterday on Amazon for $32.99, regular $39.99, which is still cheaper than petsmart. I'm debating also between the Hex and the Top Fin. Top Fin allows me the option to divide the tank if I wanted to do so.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #10 
MSG

Freyja, I would go with the top fin because it's glass. The hex has 6 corners & it makes viewing the fish harder & makes taking pictures of the inhabitants harder as well.

I had cherry shrimp in the hex & I really disliked the filtration system, the scratches on the tank didn't help much either.

The only negative I can think about the top fin is the filter that comes with it. I think I have a similar filter, but just like Aurie mentioned, it's NOT adjustable whatsoever. It just turns on and off.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote