Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #1 
Francis

Is BettaFix Hurting or Helping?

We have had our Betta, Francis, since Christmas 2011. He has always seemed a little sickly- he was a gift from PetSmart. He is looking a little worse lately & I got some BettaFix but he seems more lethargic. There is a rainbow like sheen on the surface of his water. The directions for the medicine tell me to keep treating the water for a week, then change it. Should I give up on the BettaFix?

Container size: 1 gallon
I change his water weekly
He has a light that is on during the day & off at night
He has a little plastic leaf that he spends most of his time on

I have attached a picture & would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #2 
magnum

With a 1 gallon tank you should be doing at least two 50% water changes a week to keep ammonia down if you don't have a filter. Do you have a heater ?
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #3 
toad

I agree with Magnum - try more frequent water changes, and perhaps moving him to a larger container.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #4 
Francis

No, we don't have a heater. We did have one along with a water filter but Francis would hide at the bottom of the tank all the time & so I took them both out & he seemed more relaxed.

I have been perusing some of the other posts on this site & it has helped. I have gone to PetSmart a couple of times for advice but they don't seem to know much at all.

I will start doing a 50% change twice weekly. Should I stop the BettaFix?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #5 
toad

I've never used BettaFix, but I doubt it will hurt him if you keep using it. Also, you're right - the kids in PetsMart/PetCo aren't given any good information on the animals they are supposed to caring for and educating people on :( You don't need a heater if the room is warm; try to keep him at about 78 degrees. They don't like to be cold.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #6 
magnum

If there seems to be no external damage for now I think he should be fine. It would be really good if you could get at least a 3 gallon for Francis along with a heater and thermometer as their water needs to be between 28-30 degrees (not sure what that is in Fahrenheit.) As for the filter, try and get one with adjustable water currents, as Betta's prefer a slow, gentle current. If you can't theres a great sticky thread up on here showing you to make your own filter baffle.

Another question, what do you feed him ?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #7 
Francis

He eats BettaMin flakes. We tried to switch to Aqueon Betta Food pellets but he just spits those out.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #8 
magnum

Try soaking the pellets in some tank water before you give them to him, he may prefer them then. You should also try to feed him some frozen chopped up bloodworms, which might increase his appetite.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #9 
Calypso77

If you can try even Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. They are so tiny, it might just be your pellets you have tried him on are too big. Or you could try crushing the pellets you have up smaller. I have done this before and it worked. Both these ways worked for me.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #10 
magnum

I agree with calypso. Also, from the picture it looks like he is clamped up. Does he flare?