Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #1 
Twilight Storm

moss seed pod!

I was getting ready to throw out the algae infested clump of moss I have and I decided to look at the disgusting algae one last time. Low and behold there is a little seed pod sticking out of it, and the inside of the pod looks dark.

It's coming off the one tiny bit of moss that isn't covered in nasty algae! Probably new growth that hasn't had time to be smothered.

I'm just wondering if I should clip it off and throw it in a separate container so if it does make seeds or whatever, it doesn't get smothered... Or if I will kill any chance of it surviving if I do that.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #2 
TheCrabbyTabby

I'd say go for it. Maybe add a little fertilizer or something to give it a boost.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

:D I'd say to try and save the moss, growing moss from seeds is a slow process

"It takes about a quarter to half a year for the sporophyte to mature. The sporophyte body comprises a long stalk, called a seta, and a capsule capped by a cap called the operculum"-wikipedia

With the current moss, you can get a clear take out container, poke a few small holes in the bottom and add some garden soil and wet the soil (not soak!) place the moss in there and cover with glad wrap. make sure you leave this in a bright warm place, but not in direct sunlight sunlight. The moss should grow out in its emersed form :)

There should be a good condensation inside the container.

You can try and save as much of your moss that seems still alive this way. or any aquatium plant for that matter :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #4 
Twilight Storm

As far as I knew this glob is java moss, considering it is making the pods i'm guessing it's not now. Probably christmas moss, since java moss is said to make the pods really rarely.

Should I just throw the entire glob of algae infested moss on the soil? the pods are coming out of a place that is fairly thick with the algae. (Think pond scum thick) I am guessing that the algae won't do well out of water, I just don't know if it will mold.

I don't think the algae killed the moss in the center of the clump yet, but there is no way I can get it off it's just a big slimy mess, about the size of a white castle hamburger. The bright green bits of moss that are sticking out of the slime are only about a quarter centimeter long tops.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

cant hurt to try right? :) mold usually grows on stuff when they rot , pick off any brown moss bits... and by algae, do you mean algae algae or bga?
Old 07-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #6 
Twilight Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
cant hurt to try right? :) mold usually grows on stuff when they rot , pick off any brown moss bits... and by algae, do you mean algae algae or bga?

I thought it was cyanobacteria (probably mutilated the spelling offhand) I think it's a mix of algaes. its a mat of grey and green and slime and hair or thread algae at this point, probably some mold mixed in... it's nasty. My camera guy should be back from vacation soon so I can ask him to borrow the camera again and see if I can get a picture of the mess.

I just left everything in the bowl I used to keep the baby in because of how out of control it got. (He is now in a 5 gallon tank)

I was planning on trying some algae chemicals on the java fern on wood. Picking that up later today when I get my cheapo 10 gallon fluorescent hood.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

eewwwww lolol algae soup :P I just got bew pics if my baby today. cant wait to post them up :D