Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #1 
The Trans Am Kid

Male Betta for Starter Fish?

I was trying to figure out how to do cycleing for my new 20 gal tank and what I read just made me more confused. I got lucky with my 55 gal tank and somehow got it suitable for fish but I wanna do this tank right. It mentioned to have a fish that pretty much gets sacraficed but helps with the amonia and nitrate and such. But can you use a Male Betta for the sacrafice, only he lives? Because I have seen those Betta live in all kinds of horrible cups and bowls and places. They seem pretty hardy.

If anyone can help me out here that would be great. I have tried to search for information but have just become more confused. Thanks for your help!
The Trans Am Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 AM   #2 
Lindsey88

Bettas can be used but you are limited with fish you can keep with them later on. A good fish that lots of people use are Zebra danios or other types of danios. From what I hear they are very hardy fish.
Lindsey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:01 AM   #3 
The Trans Am Kid

What I really wanna do is try to bread some kind of fish in there. I would like to try to breed either Fancy Guppies, Albino Bristlenose Plecos, or Corys. Any suggestions? Would just a couple Fancy Guppies be hardy enough to live but suitable for the cycleing procedure?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #4 
Holly

My guppies made it through my cycling period and also had 2 sets of babies through the whole thing. Damn guppies!! LOL Becareful because they will multiply quick and tank over that 20g within months. Someone told me they eat thier babies but I had 20 or so babies live from each batch. My guppies fed my neighbors oscar for months. I'd keep them in my tank till they were big enough and that was just about the right time I had to get them out of the tank becasue there was too many. I couldn't keep up. Becareful what you wish for!!!
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 PM   #5 
Andyandsue

I cycled my tanks with Zebra Danios. They are hearty little guys. I am also a HUGE fan of BioSpira. I use it with any new tank I set up or if I add more fish. Just be warned, BioSpira is NOT an instant cycle. It does, however remove ammonia by the way of nitrites which you will see appear overnight. You still have to go through the part of waiting for nitrates to appear. It also needs to be purhcased from a reputable LFS who keeps it in a fridge and hasn't had it sitting around for a year.

Here are two links to my favorite cycling infomation. It's what taught me how to cycle, and I've never had a fatality from cycling (very proud of that!)

http://www.bestfish.com/newtank3.html
http://www.bestfish.com/breakin.html

Good luck and enjoy!
Andyandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #6 
The Trans Am Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyandsue
Here are two links to my favorite cycling infomation. It's what taught me how to cycle, and I've never had a fatality from cycling (very proud of that!)

http://www.bestfish.com/newtank3.html
http://www.bestfish.com/breakin.html

Good luck and enjoy!
Thanks. I have used some products that are supposed to "Greatly reduce cycling time." How do I know when it is safe? Just make sure all the levels are ok?
Old 01-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #7 
jeaninel

It sounds like you already have an established tank running? Why not use some of the filter media to jump start the cycle for your 20 gallon? Keep a close eye on the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and do water changes when the readings get too high and you should be cycled in no time.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:59 AM   #8 
willow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninel
It sounds like you already have an established tank running? Why not use some of the filter media to jump start the cycle for your 20 gallon? Keep a close eye on the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and do water changes when the readings get too high and you should be cycled in no time.
sounds good to me,rather than using live fish.
i use this method when ever i make up a new tank. :)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote