Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #1 
AlisonK

Bump on side of betta getting bigger

Hi

I have had our betta for about 9 months, in a 2.5 gal tank.

I noticed about a month ago, a small nick on his side, that just looked like he might have bumped his leaf hammock and loosened a scale or something. That is what it looked like to me at the time. I have been watching closely, and it looks like this is getting bigger, and now looks like a lump. This picture is not very good, but you can just about see the lighter raised section on his side. (attached). I will try to take a better picture tomorrow.

What is this and what should I do?

I usually do one 50% and one 100% water change weekly using Reverse Osmosis water, Betta fish conditioner and Kents R/O Right to replace minerals. He's been fine otherwise and not shown any sign of not eating or any other strange behaviour.

Thanks,

Alison
Attached Images

AlisonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #2 
AlisonK

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have read about aquarium salt, is this something that might be beneficial to try?

I tried to take a better picture, but Bobby is not co-operating right now...
Old 07-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #3 
Shadyr

AQ salt is good if he has a bonked scale or fin issues. (Worked great for fixing my daughter's betta's scales after I accidentally bonked him with the water change cup) I can't really tell from the picture what is going on with your fellow though.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #4 
Aus

He may have gotten an infection in the area.

From badman's disease page:

Quote:
Lumps and bumps that suddenly appear are usually bacterial infections. If the disease process is due to bacteria, it usually resolves by rupture (like a boil) pretty quickly. The white liquid that oozes out is pus that is formed when the white blood cells (immune cells) die while killing bacteria (in general). NEVER TRY TO POP OR SQUEEZE THE LUMP. Like a boil in humans, squeezing can cause regurgitation of the pus into the blood stream of the fish with deadly results. It is also not a good idea to seal a draining wound unless it is bleeding. The most common bacteria which causes such lumps is Columnaris or Aeromonas.

Wounds that are white on the edges and red in the center are most typically Aeromonas. Those that are red on the edges and white in the center are generally Columnaris. Both are gram negative bacteria. The best treatment for this is any sulfa antibiotic with trimetheprim. This can be put in the water and mixed with food -- if you can find Romet B use it.
Furan-2 also treats gram negative, as does Kanaplex.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #5 
AlisonK

HI - I managed to take a better picture -

So after looking at this...do you think I should go with the aquarium salt or the antibiotics?

Does this look like just an injury that got infected? What else could cause a small growth on a betta? I'm hoping its not a tumor or something.

Maybe I could give him something better to eat? I just feed betta pellets (betta bio-gold with color enhancers), and sometimes some freeze dried worms.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #6 
Aus

Now.. to me, that doesn't look like a regular infection site. Maybe lympho? Or a tumor. I'm not experienced with either of those, so I'm a bit reluctant to offer advice, all I know is that fish can live quite long lives with either of those conditions...

How's he acting now? Like usual, or as if he's feeling poorly?
Old 07-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #7 
AlisonK

He's acting fine, eating normally.

I changed his water and tank gravel completely today. Thought a thorough clean might help.

Hopefully someone will chime in...

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #8 
Aus

I hope so, too.

It's good, though, that he's acting normally. Usually a fish with a massive lesion will at least be showing some sign of disease.. being normal means it's less likely to be something horribly fatal.

I do know there's people here who've had fish with tumours and lympho.. perhaps I'll pm one or two, if I can remember who they are..
Old 07-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #9 
AlisonK

Thanks for your help Aus!

I was going to go to Petco today, so hopefully someone will chime in, then I'll know what to pick up if I need to medicate him or something.

I'll look for aquarium salt anyway,

Alison
Old 07-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #10 
AlisonK

Ok, so I went to petco and found this stuff called Bettafix.
Now I read on this forum that its really not so good for betta's!? Its just tea tree isn't it? (melaleuca is the botanical name for tea tree)

I gave one dose. (1 tsp in his 2.5 gal tank) Please someone tell me if this stuff is ok!!!

Also, the guy at petco told me opposite information to what I've been reading on the forum....he was pretty sure he knew what he was talking about too. He said to not change the water 100%...ever. Just do 50% changes 2x per week and use a gravel vac.

Also he said I may be overfeeding, (I feed 2X per day, 5 or 6 mini pellets at a feeding) He said only once per day and only 2 or 3 pellets.

He said my betta was probably stressed with the too frequent water changes and not building up good tank micro-organisms, and possibly overfeeding.

So now I don't know what to believe! I'm sure the folks on here have been keeping bettas for a long time and know what they are talking about....so I'm more apt to listen to advice on the forum....I just don't want to stress my poor fish out!

Thanks!