Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #1 
Rachel02

Exclamation Two Week Update: Getting Worse

This is the swollen double tail I had posted about before, where it seemed he had gotten ammonia burn along with fin rot. I had updated the thread because I had remembered he had gotten a seashell (direct from the ocean) put in the tank without it being cleaned properly first, but I didn't get a response about that.

Anyway, now it seems he definitely has dropsy; his belly had been a bit grey for a while and now his scales are definitely pineconing. I have been treating him with tetracycline for these weeks for the rot, which hasn't gotten better or worse. The pineconing is new though. At this point is there any hope of him getting better?

[I put him in a three gallon tank with a heater, the temp is always 78. I clean the water twice a week, 100% changes. He has been eating two pellets a day, but only if they are right in front of him - he has trouble swimming well and is listing to one side. I never tested the water]
Rachel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #2 
lvandert

The sea shell is a BIG no-no. especially if its not properly cleaned. Nothing in/from salt water belongs in a freshwater tank period. Bloating should have been treated with 2tsp per gallon epsom salt, and at this point I would get him on a 3ts per gallon unscented epsom salt treatment. Dropsy is 95% fatal but you can pull them out of it.

As for the rot are you sure its rot? Sometimes they just have a funky coloring that seems like it could be fin rot and other times its just tail biting.

I highly suggest getting at least an ammonia test kit to make sure your current water changes are good. I presume they are but sometimes you just never know.

Do you have a current picture of him?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #3 
Rachel02

How he looks currently: http://flic.kr/p/dd5ycw

It was hard to show, but he is pineconing and he does have fin rot. I can't get cameras to focus on him properly...

I got epsom salt and put it in after dissolving it in dechlorinated water. Do I have to clean out the water every day and then put the salt in? Can I combine it with something like Bettafix? Thanks for helping!
Old 09-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #4 
lvandert

I would avoid the "-fixes" due to their unreliable outcomes. As for the fin rot; two weeks with that treatment and no change really leads me to believe he doesn't have fin rot. I would stop any meds you have going and just give him the salt. daily water changes are recommended with any treatment.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #5 
Rachel02

http://flic.kr/p/dduQvW

He now has some cottony stuff on the side of his gill. It looks almost like white fuzz or cotton candy. is this something fungal now? What should I do for it/
Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #6 
lvandert

yeah thats a fungal growth (best identified by the fuzzies). you can treat that with few things; clean water with stress coat and aq salt (but not both salts at the same time), or a fungal cure (API, Tetra and Jungle are good brands to look for).
Old 09-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #7 
Rachel02

well, thanks for the advice and help, but he died today after kind-of a fitful couple of hours struggling to breathe :( at least I have an idea of what to do if another fish gets sick in the same way.
thanks again for taking time to answer my questions :)
Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #8 
Lizzie the Badger

I'm sorry for your loss :(
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dropsy, pineconing, swollen