Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #21 
AlisonK

Oh one more question....how long can I keep the same IAL in the tank? Do I take it out after a few days, or can I leave it in there indefinately? Can I add more leaves? Is one in the tank enough?

Thanks!
AlisonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #22 
Oldfishlady

You can add as many as you want, however, the more you add the darker the water-IME with really stressed and/or sick fish the darker the better.

I remove the leaves every week or so-depending on how they are breaking down and some I leave until they do totally break down-but I also have NPT and want that decomp for the CO2 it creates.

Make sure your replacement water has the tannins as well....

As I posted earlier-since this might be a tumor-not much can be done except to keep him comfy-he may or may not respond to the treatment....but it won't hurt either and can help make him comfy....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #23 
AlisonK

Hi OldFishLady,

Thanks again for the advice!

I'm coming onto 14 days with the epsom salts treatment (2 tsp per gallon strength), and was wondering how I would now 'wean' him off of the epsom salts? I would think changing out to normal water again suddenly would be a bit stressful.

I have 1 gallon of water ready to do a 50% water change tomorrow. I put the 2 IAL's that were in his tank in the new water to 'steep' overnight. Those 2 leaves made his tank water really dark, which is good, although I think a third would make it really, really dark....so I took the 2 out of his tank water and put them in the new water.

So, do I add less epsom salts to the new water for subsequent changes? Maybe only 1 tsp, and then at the next 50% change, make it half a tsp etc, until I'm not adding any? And just keep diluting his tank with 50% changes from now on?

I'm going to stop doing 100% changes from now on and just gravel vac and do 50% changes every 3 or 4 days. (he's in a 2.5 gallon tank with a gentle filter - its one of those Aqueon mini bow tanks)....would that be ok?

Also...the water I use is reverse osmosis and I add Kent's R/O Right minerals and betta water conditioner. Is this good? I will also keep the IAL in there from now on.

He is still behaving normally, I noticed he made a nice bubble nest in his floating betta log today. NO change to the lump, I will try take a pic tomorrow when I do the water change. Hopefully if it is a tumor, it is slow growing, and we can still enjoy his company a while longer....I'll try keep him comfortable.

Sorry about all the questions!

Alison
Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #24 
Oldfishlady

The way I like to get them re-acclimated from a treatment-

I make small water changes using fresh dechlorinated water for a few day. Then I use the tank water for a day or so-Then I add them back to their main tank

Ask all the questions you need...that is what a forum is for after all....

Look forward to the pics....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #25 
AlisonK

Hi,

I tried to snap some pictures, but it was really difficult to get close and stay in focus...I think my camera must not be very good! Here were the best ones - It does look like the lump is now all the same blue color as the rest of him, and is no longer white in the center, so perhaps the treatment has helped heal his scales in that area.

Thanks for all the help! I'll post an update if things change any more. Right now I will just leave the IAL in the tank at all times.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #26 
AlisonK

I'm updating this thread, as my situation has gotten worse

After the Epsom salts treatment, I floated Indian almond leaves in the tank at all times, and (on the advice from a guy at petco - note to self....DON'T take advice from the guys at petco! - Although I'm sure he meant well) he said to not do 100% water changes as that was what probably caused the stress and the lump....I bought a gravel vac and for the next 2 - 3 weeks, just changed 50% of the water every 3 or 4 days, using the gravel vac. All his water changes, had the IAL soaked overnight.

Anyway...after a few weeks, I suddenly noticed he was getting fin rot on his top fin! I immediately changed his water 100%, took out ALL the gravel, went and got AQ salt and have just finished a week of AQ salt treatment. (1 tsp/gallon) plus stress coat, changing the water 100% everyday for about 8 days. (He's in a 2.5 gallon, but for treatment I just used 1.5 gallons.) I use Reverse Osmosis water plus "RO Right" minerals to add back some minerals to the RO water.

So now the poor guy has this lump, which has not got better from the IAL, plus fin rot.

I feel awful!

After the AQ salt treatment, the lump has turned white, and grown - see picture. Does this mean anything? It was blue before, like the color of his scales... if you look at the previous pictures.
It almost looks like I could scrape it off, but I dread to do anything like that.

anyone have any advice!
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #27 
AlisonK

anyone?