Betta Fish Forum banner

Proud Owner of my First Betta ^_^

1K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  CandiceMM 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! First post here, and here is the first betta I got! His name is Fred and my wife and I got him at PetCo along with the 4 gallon tank which included an LED light that can be switched from day (shown in the photo) to night (only two blue LEDs for a 'moonlight' effect). The red thing in the background is a plastic cup we are using as a baffle. When we first put him in there he couldn't swim against the current. The first thing I did was remove the plug that holds it between the fill portion and the tank and let it spray gently at the hole, but 1 - it didn't circulate it very well, and 2 - Fred was always curious and putting part of his head in, so I didn't want him to push too far in and possible get stuck or tear off scales, so after a little check this site showed me the baffle idea ^_^ it works really well now, and he is much happier in this larger tank as our first was a .5 gallon tank (WAY TOO SMALL!!!). Hope everyone approves! If not, let me know what else we can do for the little guy!

#3 ·
Be careful, bettas are addictive! :) Congratulations on your little pet!

#5 ·
Welcome to the forums~! He looks super happy and has lots of room!

Make your limit of how many bettas you want now, cause you'll reach it soon LOL. Mine was 1, I now have 3 HAHA - Addictive little things.

#8 ·
I also am a new owner of a betta. Welcome to the club!

I have the same tank and my betta couldn't swim and was constantly finding himself in the filter intake. Poor Gucci :( Instead of having the cup (which is not visually beautiful) I poked holes in the tube attached to the pump. I had to poke for holes with a diameter of about 1/4". The flow is now very smooth, Gucci can swim as much as he wants freely without being push away or getting sucked and the tank remains clean.

#18 ·
That worked great! I put three holes in the tube and works much better AND looks better, plus he is liking his cave to sleep in as well, so he stays out of the leftover slight current, and is still happy and cheerful.

I also updated his tank a bit, some more 'plant life' for him to hide in. ^_^

#13 ·
He looks great!! Welcome!! Everyone here is so great and helpful. I just got my betta Kudo in May and Ive been addicted ever since!! Aquariums are a lot of fun and VERY addicting, I already want another betta!!

#19 ·
Congrats on your new guy, I know you how you feel :) And yes Betta's are very addicting!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.