Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Question non-hob filter suggestions?

I need a filter for a tank of baby trapdoor snails BUT HOB filters won't work as they will not fit over the rim of the storage bin. It's about 10-15 gallons of water but I'm thinking of getting maybe one for 30-40 gallons.

I though maybe sponge but do they only do biological filtration? I need something that will do mechanical and chemical as well. The water gets a nasty smell after a day or two. Maybe I need a bigger tub but there are only 15 small snails in it and according to aquavisor its not over stocked.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #2 
Goldibug

If water flow isn't an issue look into a power head. They produce a lot of water movement but filter very well from what I've been told. People have begun to favor them over HOBs.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #3 
TheCrabbyTabby

In tank filters work well, I think. I have a Tetra Whisper 10i for my 10 gallon.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

I ended up getting a tetra 2-10 gallon filter. I think I should of gotten the 10-30 gallon one since snails poop alot but for now this will have to do.

I though powerheads just moved the water, I didnt know they filtered as well
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #5 
Goldibug

You're right, they move the water. The person I was talking to said they make under gravel filters work better. Sorry for misleading info
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #6 
kfryman

Some power heads can have an attachment put on for taking small particles out after doing something, but all they so is circulate, you see them more in saltwater than freshwater as saltwater requires a lot of current.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #7 
mkayum

Try Quiet flow Aqueon Filter? I had this filter running for almost 6 months now and it did the good job at cleaning for my 10 gal & my tank is extremely clear! This filter was for 20 gallons. c:I have eleven fish in ten gallon tank o.o
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote