Old 07-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #1 
Aus

Does anyone have 'true fighters'?

NOT for fighting with.. ofc...

I mean the original type of fighting betta themselves. If so, could you please:

- post a pic!

- describe if/how they're different to longfins/fancy plakats, if at all

- tell me about their health/how you keep them

I'm becoming very interested in ordering a 'fighter' male and would like to hear more about them.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 
SparklE fin

I made a whole post describing my old male, lol.

I don't have one, but my friend does. One thing to say he HATES me and LOVES my friend. They're much faster than the fancy breeds. I would post a picture but that Lil devil hates pictures. but my friend usually keeps an Almond Leaf in his tank. But that Lil Guy (His name is Guy) will eat only Bloodworms and pellets. He'll give you that look if you offer any other food, even brine shrimp

Though I suppose it's their personality

Last edited by SparklE fin; 07-18-2012 at 11:22 AM.
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #3 
Mo

I think the definition of a true fighter is a wild color based plakat Betta Selectively bred for the aggression and meant to have a strong body/fin to fight. There are winning lines for fighting and champions as there would be for showing bettas
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #4 
Bambi

+1 to what Mo said

They're bred to be alot more aggressive and generally are a little more bulky body wise, built to be strong/good at fighting. Most are in wild type coloring because they aren't bred for color.

There's a seller, I'd have to find the site, who sell fish from his fighting lines.

Care wise and such I'd saythey're likely the same, breeding wise I would probably only breed a fighter male to a fighter female because I"d be worried about aggression. That'snot to say you couldn't breed one to a fancier PK, I'm personally just uber paranoid when I breed. xD.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #5 
Aus

Thanks, guys. I've pretty much done the research on their origins/type. Very interesting reading, re the breeders/players and that whole cultural aspect.

I'm interested at this point in what they're like to keep, pictures, experiences.

There's a few fighter lines for sale that I can get hold of, of course I'm sure they're not champion fighting fish if they're for sale on the net (nor do I wish to fight them..) but I'm hoping to see how hardy/long-lived they are compared to say, the VT's and HM's generally available.

Perhaps one day, if it looks worth it, I'd like to try breeding up some hardier fish from that stock.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote