Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #1 
razr10

Fin Rot Treatment

I have had my betta fish since febuary when I first got him he was lively and swam around the tank and would even flare up sometimes. After 3 months I noticed his color was beginning to fade and his fins were not as big and vibrant. I changed the water and decided to see if he improved any. Over the next couple days he seemed to improve. Recently the other morning I woke up and looked at him and he doesn't have much of his fins left. I also noticed a behavior change in him. He eats fine, but he doesn't swim around as much as he used to. Sometimes I will come home from work and I will find him staying in the bottom corner of the tank or the top corner of the tank. Usually once he sees me he will swim around some more. But anyways I am pretty sure he has fin rot. And I bought some jungle aquarium salt and some stress coat fish and water conditioner to try. What I am wondering is how much to put in my water.

My tank is 6.3 liters. The bottle of stress coat is dosed for 2 tsp for 10 gallons of water and the salt is dosed for 1 tablespoon for each 5 gallons of water.
razr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hi there! in the forum sticky you will find a form which you can fill out. this helps people better with the diagnosis

heres the sticky
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Please fill out as much as you can so we can see your situation better and ask the right questions !
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #3 
razr10

Housing
What size is your tank? 6.3 liters
What temperature is your tank? n/a
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin Tropical Medley and once or twice a week I feed him a bloodworm
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every three weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I change all of it
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use spring water and don't add anything.

Note: I know my maintenance may need improved!

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Haven't tested it.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? color fading, fin deteriorating
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? doesn't flare up, and stays in one place of the tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? April
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no not sure how much to put in water
Does your fish have any history of being ill? n/a
How old is your fish (approximately)?n/a
Old 07-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by razr10 View Post
Housing
What temperature is your tank? n/a
Is your tank heated? no
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every three weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I change all of it
That's the reason right there. For a tank almost 1.5 gallons, you NEED to do 1 100% and 1 50% at the LEAST per week. That's the main reason right there. You also need a thermometer and a heater. Yes, it is possible to heat a small tank. He's probably stressed because of this. If it looks really bad, use AQ salt nd clean water. 1 teaspoon per gallon. I'm sorry if I sound rude, I'm just concerned about he's care. I hope he gets better!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #5 
Freyja
Banned

Lebron is aquarium salt necessary to treat fin rot or would stress coat and daily water changes help?
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #6 
razr10

Where could I find a heater for this small of a tank? i have checked around and I can only find heaters for as small as a 2 gallon tank. If I got a 3 gallon tank how often would I need to change the water and what percentage?
And my main question was what dosage would I use for my tank since its so small and I'm really bad at math.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Lebron is aquarium salt necessary to treat fin rot or would stress coat and daily water changes help?
I think so. It's a bacterial infection so I think that the AQ salt would help fight it off with the clean water and stress coat.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by razr10 View Post
Where could I find a heater for this small of a tank? i have checked around and I can only find heaters for as small as a 2 gallon tank. If I got a 3 gallon tank how often would I need to change the water and what percentage?
And my main question was what dosage would I use for my tank since its so small and I'm really bad at math.
You could use a Hydor THEO. I have it and it works like a charm. It's made for tanks 1-7 gallons. I use it for my 3.5 and doesn't overheat. Just remember to check the thermometer if it's over your wanted temperature. For a 3 gallon without a filter, 1 100% and 1 50 are needed. If its filtered, 2 50%s per week. :) The dosage for AQ salt in an almost 1.5 gallon is like 1 teaspoon and 1/2 a teaspoon. Sorry if I sounded cranky back there. I was kinda sleepy...
Old 07-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #9 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I think so. It's a bacterial infection so I think that the AQ salt would help fight it off with the clean water and stress coat.
Thanks Lebron.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #10 
razr10

Okay. Thanks! I think I may upgrade to a 3 gallon just because the tank I have is rather small and old. I think I may add a filter to it when I get it and I'm defiantly getting a heater also. And you didn't sound cranky or rude at all. I just want razr to get better. I,ve had bettas before and have never had this problem. But I have also moved since then and I feel like the room temperature jumps around in this room even when I don't have air on.