Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #1 
Relic

Think he'll make it?

Went to the pet store this morning and found a betta that was apparently put into a tank with some mollies and the mollies beat him up pretty bad...I told them I'd give em a dollar for it and would try to help him get better. Te lady told me he was beyond saving but my daughter and I figured we'd try. I've got an empty 5.5 gal that will be his new home. Kinda feel sorry for the little guy. Is there really anything I can do for him or is it simply a "wait and see" game?
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Poor guy how great of you to take him to get better and he will such a nice new home now. I think he will make it with some good clean warm water. I am sure others will come along with some great ideas about any treatments he might need to help his fins grow back. Best of luck and many good wishes for him !!!
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #3 
Freyja
Banned

Would some aq salt help him? Maybe keep in shallow water so that he doesn't have to work too hard to swim up for air?
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #4 
xShainax

Keep his water clean and I think he will make it. :)
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

D: Poor guy!! I think clean, warm water will do him some good.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #6 
Shadyr

If you have any on hand or can easily get some, he might also be a poster child case for some Stresscoat. Good luck with him!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #7 
Relic

Unfortunately he doesn't appear to be doing so well. It appears the damage was a lot more than just his fins...we noticed his back is bent while he tries to swim, like he is suffering from a spine injury and the scales are completely gone around his tail area to where you can see flesh. Maybe the stress of the move was just to much for him after what he had already gone through... They said if he doesn't make it we can bring him back in and swap for another one at full retail. I was really hoping he would make it, But I think the damage is just to great.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

If you feel his suffering should be ended, you can humanely euthanize him.

A way to do it that will cause him no pain is to add clove oil to his water. This will knock him out. Put a seperate cup in the freezer of water. Once a thin sheet of ice starts to form on the surface of the water, remove it. Ensure that your betta is knocked out. Poor the little guy into the cup of ice water.

He will pass away due to the temperature shock, and will have felt no pain because he was knocked out.

Sorry for the sad description, but it can help him leave peacefully.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #9 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
If you feel his suffering should be ended, you can humanely euthanize him.

A way to do it that will cause him no pain is to add clove oil to his water. This will knock him out. Put a seperate cup in the freezer of water. Once a thin sheet of ice starts to form on the surface of the water, remove it. Ensure that your betta is knocked out. Poor the little guy into the cup of ice water.

He will pass away due to the temperature shock, and will have felt no pain because he was knocked out.

Sorry for the sad description, but it can help him leave peacefully.
Teeney, this is good to know -- storing this away in my brain in case I ever need it...

Sorry about your little guy, Relic :( It was so nice of you to rescue him and make him comfortable!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #10 
underdebate

Poor thing. ;_; What Teeney said-- if you believe he's suffering too greatly, humanely euthanizing him is an incredibly brave and admirable decision. If you think he's still got a chance, I can only repeat what others have already said-- warm, clean water (like, 80+ wouldn't hurt), low water levels, lots of resting places like leaves, and stress coat if you can get your hands on it.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote