Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #1 
CharStarr

Snail Questions...

So I have my 10 gallon tank with my betta Kudo, my two ADFs Hip and Hop and right now two cardinal tetra.

I notice that when I feed my frogs their blood worms a lot of them float to the bottom even after they've hunted and theres some left overs in the gravel. Ive been thinking about getting a snail to help keep the leftovers down. I was wondering what snails to get? Or is my tank not big enough?

Thanks!
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #2 
Aurie

I'd get some ghost shrimp to do that job. Way smaller bio load and they're entertaining as all get out to watch :)

Petsmart has them for like 30 so if they're eaten, they're cheap

Nerite snails are good for algea, but mine never goes to the gravel so I don't know if that breed is ok for extra food. Apple or mystery snails might be better for the job, but again, might not go to gravel.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #3 
CharStarr

Do you think the ghost shrimp are the same price in Canada? Okay, thanks Aurie, I appreciate your help. I'm interested in both, I'm kind of tempted to start a shrimp only tank... Ive really started to fall in love with aquariums.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #4 
CharStarr

So I have a mystery snail and his name is Gus, he's amazing. But Im wondering if anyone can tell me about nerite snails? At Big Al's they have black spotted red nerite snails and I'm thinking of adding them to a tank later on. Can they be with other snails? Or can just mystery snails be with mystery snails and nerite snails with nerite snails?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #5 
Aurie

Honestly with just a 10 gallon I'd keep the snails to a minimum. 1 nerite might be ok since they can only breed in salt water and they do very well for themselves. They poop.. a .. LOT so Keep up the gravel vac's (I do mine on sundays) and you could have 2. I don't see why the snails would hate each other though. My nerite acts like nothing else lives in the tank. He just goes about his business without a care in the world
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #6 
clopez1

I have seen tanks with both..When I got my mystery snail the shop had both kinds together just fine.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #7 
CharStarr

Thanks guys! I didn't really want to mix them together I was just wondering, Ive got my two mystery snails in the 10 gallon and then Im putting two nerite snails in another tank with my other betta.