Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #1 
BettaSmart

Question Plan(s) for the Future

I've considered purchasing a larger aquarium and dividing it into two sections with a filter/heat chamber. This would allow me to take in a second rescue, whether from our local store(s) or a member on this site. The project would be limited to the future as I'm unemployed at the moment and a proper setup can be expensive, but it's never a bad time to decide on which equipment/aquarium to use for said project.

I'm looking at the Marina Aquarium Kit on Amazon; however, I'm unsure if it's a decent kit for $89.99. I would add a submersible heater (100w) and a non-sticker thermometer. The water conditioner(s) would be replaced with Seachem Prime because I'm not confident about the brand that's offered. I don't know a lot about filtration or lighting. Would the provided Marina Slim S15 filter be too powerful for a couple of Betta splendens? Is the Sun-Glo fluorescent bulb (14w) adequate for live plants? What's your opinion of the kit in general?

Feel free to exchange ideas or share your plans for the future!
BettaSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #2 
Olivia27

Let's not buy that kit. Too many things you would end up replacing anyway. What size tanks you're after? I don't see you mentioning that anywhere, and so it's hard to answer your filter and heater question. As for plant lights, it depends on the plants really. Just get a species that fits your tank. As for divided tanks in general, I sure hope people won't throw stones at me for saying this, but please do read all the pros AND cons about it beforehand so you'll know what to get prepared for. Good luck!

EDIT: whoops, the link says it's 10 gal! Would you still buy a ten gal if you don't buy that kit though? I would stick to a 50w heater for a 10gal but 100 wouldn't hurt either. Filters... you can always baffle them.
Olivia27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #3 
BettaStarter24

If you have a petco near you they have a $1 per gallon sale twice a year, they have one in full swing right now. You could get a 10g for $10, 20 pounds of gravel if you went gravel for $16, a nice filter for $14 (the Tetra Whisper 10i, works great), Amazon has a nice heater for $16.99, (Hydor Theo 50W adjustable) and plants would vary in price depending on silk or live. And then I got a nice fluorescent lid for around $35. Petco also sells incandescent lids which tank 15W bulbs but the 15w bulbs are very very very dim and won't grow plants whatsoever. The incandescent lids are $25, bulbs are $4
BettaStarter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:02 PM   #4 
BettaSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seren27 View Post
As for divided tanks in general, and I hope that people won't throw stones at me for saying this, but please read all of the pros and cons beforehand, so you'll know what to prepare for. Good luck!

EDIT: Whoops, the link says that it's 10 gallon! Would you still buy a 10 gallon if you don't buy the kit? I would stick to a 50w heater for a 10 gallon, but 100w wouldn't hurt either. Filters can always be baffled.
The intention is to purchase a 10 gallon aquarium, regardless of whether or not it's in a kit. I was looking at kits because they come with a filter and hood -- two items that I'm unsure about. I have no issue with making separate purchases if there's guidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaStarter24 View Post
If you have a Petco near you, they host a $1 per gallon sale twice a year. It's in full swing at the moment. You can get a 10 gallon aquarium for $10 and 20 pounds of gravel for $16. Plants vary in price depending on the type -- live or silk. I got a nice fluorescent hood for about $35. Petco also sells incandescent hoods with 15w bulbs, but the 15w bulbs are dim and won't grow plants whatsoever. The incandescent hoods are $25, and the bulbs are $4.
I've tried to shop for a 10 gallon aquarium at Petco during their sale, but they're always sold out of them, which is fine because I'm not in a big hurry to get this aquarium set up anyway. As for fluorescent bulbs versus incandescent bulbs, what's the difference?

What aquarium hoods are recommended? I would like to attempt caring for beginner-friendly live plants at some point.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #5 
BettaStarter24

Fluorescent is the really really really long ones, Incandescent is like what you put in like table lamps, fluorescent is usually used in like hall lights or something. I can't recommend any when it comes to growing plants because I've tried both and have killed all the plants I've tried lol.
BettaStarter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #6 
Olivia27

Ohh me me me! I love plants I love plants :D try:

- Anubias (of any variety)
- Salvinia minima (floating. To help deter jumping)
- Anacharis narrow leaf (can either be rooted or floated. Looks like seaweed)
- Cryptocoryne (of any variety, but everyone's favorite seem to be wendtii)
- Java Fern and Java Moss (tall plant and nice hardy moss to tie to decors)
- I can list more from my collection but these are the typical first plants
Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #7 
BettaSmart

Quote:
I love plants! Try the following:

- Anubias
- Salvinia minima
- Anacharis Narrow-Leaf
- Cryptocoryne
- Java Fern/Java Moss
Do these plants require special care?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #8 
Olivia27

Anubias is almost like a silk plant in most cases. Just don't bury the rhizome, and you're good to go. Rhizome is the tough, thick root in the middle. Crypts are heavy root feeders so I do think they'll benefit from root tabs, but I'm not saying they MUST have it or else. None requires special lighting or CO2 injections so I assume the answer to your question would be "no". These are beginner plants.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:37 AM   #9 
BettaSmart

Quote:
Anubias is similar to silk plants in most cases, just don't bury the rhizome and you're good to go. The rhizome is the tough, thick root in the middle. Cryptocoryne are heavy root feeders and would benefit from root tabs, but I'm not saying that they must have them. None of these require special lighting or carbon dioxide injections to survive. These are beginner plants.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me! I'll educate myself a bit more in regards to live plants so that I'm ready for them in the future.