Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #1 
cr357

Do I need to clean the tank? How?

I recently lost my betta, Martin, and am now considering getting another however I want to know if I need to clean the tank.

Martin was sick for a few months and I think it was internal parasites. I treated him in his 2 gallon tank and was working on setting up a 5 gallon in the meantime. A couple days before he passed, I moved him into the new tank in hopes that it'd help but it didn't. Now my question is, since it may have been internal parasites, is there anything special I need to do to the 5 gallon to ensure a new fish won't get infected, and if so, how should I do that? It has a TOM filter, one real plant, and he was only in there a couple days, if that impacts anything.
cr357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #2 
Dizzypru

I've read that you should clean the tank, toss out the substrate, and possibly toss the plant. Or put the plant in a separate container for awhile.
Dizzypru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #3 
cr357

Okay thanks! Does it matter that the fish didn't die in the tank or that he didn't eat while he was in it?
cr357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #4 
ZZD

I would definitely quarantine the live plant for a bit and throw out or at least boil the substrate. Scrub and maybe a short vinegar soak for as many parts of the filter that touch water as you can. You aren't sure if it was a parasite, or what kind so it could be something that can survive a time without a fish host. And even if he didn't die or eat he may have pooped in the tank and just the presence in the tank some of the parasites might have left him to try to find a new host even.

I always say better safe than sorry. My sister has rats that have been passing a respitory infection for years to new comers and everything from her existing cage is being tossed or scrubbed before she gets any other rodent like pets once the current batch of rats has all passed. In her case the virus has now mutated with every new set and is totally untreatable at this point so who knows if it can survive cleanings!
ZZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #5 
TheAnimaLover

for small tanks do changes often partial every week by taking out 1/3 replacing it with new water for full water changes done monthly by cleaning the substrate and replacing 2/3 the water
TheAnimaLover is offline   Reply With Quote