Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #1 
learis

Minimum Air Flow Rate for a Sponge Filter

Weird question: What's the minimum airflow rate needed for a sponge filter, or is it just something you have to eyeball? I got this air pump that is nice and quiet but very weak. As long as it's blowing bubbles through the filter, is that good enough? Or does it need to be a certain strength?
learis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #2 
kjg1029

aslong as your seeing bubbles pretty much constantly, then id say youre fine. Ive never heard of a rule for the pressure ammount, its more like as strong as you can have it without it being stressful to your fish
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #3 
MikeG14

What air pump are you using? You really want as much air as possible going through there to feed the BB. I use a Tetra Whisper10 to power my sponges it seems about perfect for the job in my 10 gallon tanks.

Remember to clean the sponges in old tank water to clear them out. Just swish them around and give them a few squeezes. Dirty sponges will reduce your flow as well.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #4 
learis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG14 View Post
What air pump are you using? You really want as much air as possible going through there to feed the BB. I use a Tetra Whisper10 to power my sponges it seems about perfect for the job in my 10 gallon tanks.

Remember to clean the sponges in old tank water to clear them out. Just swish them around and give them a few squeezes. Dirty sponges will reduce your flow as well.
it's this one http://www.amazon.com/Altum-Aquatic-...=altum+aquatic

the altum nano air pump. It says the air flow is 280ml/min. Ive had the whisper 10 and this one is definately weaker, but its quiet which i like.
learis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You can actually test the amount of flow by tilting the sponge filter near the surface and filling a pint bottle. Time it and multiply the water by eight.

That's what was suggested to me. I never could get a satisfactory reading. But, just because it's bubbling does not mean it's flowing.

If you can install and airstone down in the filter, it will increase the efficiency by a noticeable amount.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote