Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #1 
Elleth

Question One Heater Short - Help?

I'm going to be one heater short tomorrow, because when I got my female betta Petco was out of 50 watt adjustable heaters, and my Aquabid boy is coming in tomorrow a little earlier than I had expected.

I have 4 heaters, 3 in tanks with fish and one in my quarantine tank that just had a boy die of velvet in it.

I won't be able to get another heater until Wednesday. (Nearest place I can get a heater of any kind is an hour away). Any suggestions as to what I could do in the meantime? I don't want any of my fish to get too cold.
Elleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #2 
VivianKJean

are there fish in the QT tank?

You can clean the QT and heater very easily.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #3 
Bailmint

Your water shouldn't get too cold, I am 2 heaters short ATM, one tank is w/o light or hood, and they're thriving. I would keep the room temperature warm, that's really all that is needed. Also, if you keep lights in their tanks, those also help warm up a bit. I doubt it will get this far but if it gets too cold, you can float bottles of warm water in your tank.
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #4 
Elleth

Thanks guys!

There isn't anyone in the quarantine, but I haven't cleaned it yet and want to be super sure that I do so really well when I do, since the last fish in it died of velvet. I'd really hate to lose another. Any suggestions on how to clean it thoroughly? I have a bit of bleach, does that kill velvet?
Old 04-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #5 
kjg1029

I would float one fish in a container (preferably not clear) in another fishes tank. just make sure it cant sink, and they cant jump out or in

I use a one gallon container to stick between the dividers in my divided ten gallons in the middle where the filter ect goes, and it holds a "qt tank" and keeps its nice and toasty
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #6 
VivianKJean

Turn the heater up to 86 degrees. keep the tank in the dark. wait 24 hours. Then clean with 70% rubbing alcohol and rinse very well with hot water.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #7 
Kim

I'd bleach the QT tank with a 1:10 bleach dilution. Let it really soak for a few hours then dump it, rinse, and clean with rubbing alcohol. Rinse again (really well) and you should be good. I can't think of much that can survive that treatment. Read the instructions that came with the heater before you subject it to this treatment though. I've learned the hard way that some heaters don't like to be submerged in bleach water.... If you can't submerge it, just wipe it with the bleach several times and then wipe with alcohol.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #8 
BettaStarter24

I used a 50/50 diluted mix of white vinegar and water, sprayed the tank and heater down like nuts for 20 minutes, then rinsed really really well, then used 70% ethyl alcohol sprayed like mad for 15 minutes then rinsed really really well, then repeated again the following day and let air dry. You want to be sure you rinse really well between solvents as you don't want the alcohol and vinegar to mix (Not sure why that's just what I was told) Rinse until you can't smell the vinegar or alcohol anymore and then rinse some more just to be safe. I did that with the tank that held my Jasper who died of what I thought was myco but might have just been a case of columnaris, and I have a new boy in the tank after using the vinegar/water and alcohol and he's just fine after over a month of being in the tank. *knock on wood*
BettaStarter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #9 
Elleth

Thanks all. I'll probably do the vinegar, bleach, and rubbing alcohol. Having lost two fish in the past few weeks, I really don't want to take any chances at all of losing my new guy.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #10 
Elleth

Alright, I soaked it in vinegar for 20 min, rinsed, soaked it in a solution of saltwater for 20 min, rinsed, wiped it with bleach multiple times, rinsed, wiped it with rubbing alcohol multiple times, rinsed a ton. It'd better not have any velvet left on it, cause my fish is here and his tank water's only at 62. We have the heater in the room going full blast and the tank heater in and on now. When it gets to about 70-75 I'll float him and start acclimating him, I don't want to shock him with too cold of water, though!