Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #151 
Doting Mama

Hi all, I have a 2.5 gallon tank, with a filter. I do 2 50% water changes a week as per OFL instruction. "In a 1gal-4gal filtered tank-without live plants:
Water changes of twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method. Filter media needs swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of time a month"

I just got 2 anubias nana plants and one larger one. My question is - does this change my WC schedule? Should I still be adding a drop or 2 of prime on the days when I'm not changing the water?
Doting Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:15 AM   #152 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Anubias are lovely plants -- my favorite -- but they don't grow fast enough to effect water quality. Keep to your current schedule.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:38 PM   #153 
Friendlyfishies

hi. I have 5 gal hawkeye hex. planted (anubias, ludwigia broad, wisteria I believe and 2 marimos, I also have some frogbit and a crypt in QT and will be adding in 2 weeks. im using eco complete sub and a 50/50 daylight bulb. my filter is a mingon 60 rated for up to 3.5 gals. i am using a sponge in the filter and this in the filter

http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/fil...t=pfm%3Dsearch

50w adj heater 78 deg. today is the first day it is up an running. The betta is in it and is doing alright hes spunky. he is a Walmart rescue, faded with stress stripes but slowly coming around. im attempting a fish in cycle and just want to ensure i do this well for his sake...

i have .25 ammonia in my well water, so i am a bit confused.
i am using prime.

From my limited understanding ...
50% water change on day 3
50% water change day with vaccum day 6
continue this til cycled
add prime every day or every other day until cycle is complete?
how many drops? (5g)
should i be checking my readings daily with the api test kit or just every few days, or on water change days?
what should my readings say?

or perhaps im not supposed to follow the 50% change schedule and i should be doing changes based on tests?

i know this sticky is awesomely simplified but im really no joke dumb about this stuff and need it even more simplifies lol!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:31 AM   #154 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Your setup is just fine for a single Betta. You have everything you need to cycle safely. This is as simple as I can make it. CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

It's based on some of the information above, as well as other sources and experience.

With that Wisteria, Ludwigia and Frogbit eating up all the ammonia before the bacteria can get to it, I think you'll find your cycle is going to be a "backup" ammonia-reducer. The plants will be doing most of the work.

Not my business, but I think you ought to investigate why you have so much ammonia in your well.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #155 
Friendlyfishies

thanks hallyx, I was told its from the run off from the snow melt. when I had bettas several yrs ago I did not have the problem. hoping it will clear up after spring. If not then yes, definitely need to investigate it.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #156 
Athra

Hi, I'm new to the forums and looking for a little help... I am trying to set up a new tank, and I was reading these forums before I bought anything so I'm trying to do a fishless cycle with pure ammonia, to have everything ready before I put a Betta into my tank.

I dosed the tank with ammonia and tetra safe start on 3/31, and finally started seeing a change two days ago, when it looked like nitrates were maybe starting to show in the tank. I tested again today, and I definitely have nitrates now (5.0ppm) but 0 nitrites and the ammonia hasn't seemed to drop at all since I dosed the tank (it's at about 4.0ppm). Should I be doing a water change, or just continue to let it to its thing?

I've attached a photo of my test from a few minutes ago. Thanks!
Attached Images

Athra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #157 
Hallyx
Reference Team

As long as you don't dose the ammonia any higher, you're OK. But you might want to cut the ammonia in half by changing water. It'll make reproduction easier for the sensitive nitrite-oxidizing bacteria.

If your cycle is producing nitrate already, you're really ahead of the game.

Would you start a new thread with this information? Because you're doing a fishless cycle, it would be easier for us to track.

Welcome to the forum.