Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #31 
Oldfishlady

Your welcome....

The nitrogen cycle is often made to sound much more complicated than it really needs to be-Its a natural process and as long as the BB needs are met-its going to happen on its own without you doing anything.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #32 
blue moon

ok so im alittle lost what water care do i need just dechlorinator and Conditioner for my uncycled tank or something else?

after i make water changes for 4-6 weeks then do i start changing the water once a week about 30 to 50 % water change ?

Do i keep the filter off until i get my fish or just leave the filter running?

after putting the dechlorinator in the water or that and something else how long do i wait until i put my fish in ?

after floating my fish for 15 to 20 min and releasing him to his new tank what signs do i watch out for if something is wrong with my new fish or how do i make sure the water is safe for him 2 be in for him in a uncycled tank i get scared to put him in a new tank because im scared he might die the secound day and after his in the tank for a day or 2 when do i start doing water changes do i wait a week or do it the same week i put him in ?
blue moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #33 
Oldfishlady

The only additive you need IMO/E is a good dechlorinator that cover chlorine and chloramine. These products work on contact to make the water fish safe. It is safe to add the Betta once the water has been dechlorinated after properly acclimated.

Proper acclimation-you need to properly acclimate to both the chemistry and temp with the new Betta and with 100% water changes-By adding small amount of the dechlorinated tank water to their holding container over 15-20min or to tolerance. Then net the Betta and add to the tank....
You don't want to add any of the pet shop water to the tank...

The beneficial bacteria need oxygen and without a filter to help with the gas exchange your dissolved oxygen will be limited as well as the food source supply to the BB since it has to go to them by way of water movement...
You need to keep the filter running all the time-except for the time that it is off for the water changes.

Once the nitrogen cycle is established-Weekly 50% with vacuum in a 5gal filtered tank to maintain water quality.

Do you have a test kit?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #34 
blue moon

no i do not all i have is a heater, a light, a hood, gravel, water with Conditioner for 3 to 4 days, a filter ( been filtering since i got it), silk fake plants.

so to complete my tank i just need dechlorinator and to wait a day so it can be filter in my tank then i can put my betta in my tank the proper way ?

after do 2x changes a week ( 1- 50% and 1- 90%) for 4 to 6 weeks then do 1 change every week ?

and that it i don't have to put any ammonia or get any testing kit sorry if i am wrong i just what to know for my knowledge and to be a better mom for my betta
blue moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #35 
OrangeAugust

I didn't cycle my 5 gallon before I put my fish in it less than a week ago. I already did two 50% water changes- two days after I first put him in, and then again 2.5 days later. The first water change was when the ammonia was between .25 and .50. Last night when I checked the water the ammonia was higher than 0 but not quite .25, so I did a 50% WC this morning including vacuuming the gravel. What amount of ammonia is too much? Should I change the water when the ammonia is at .25 or should I change it every other day no matter what.

I'm going on vacation next week- leaving on Wednesday morning and coming back Saturday night. So I will do a 75% water change on Wednesday morning before I leave... but will the water be okay until Saturday night or would that get dangerous without the tank being cycled? Because normally on the current schedule I'd change it on Wednesday morning, then if I was home I would probably change it again Friday evening... but I won't get back until the next night. Will that be ok?

Thanks!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #36 
Atena

What are the best plants to provide the oxigen needed?

I have a planted tank, it is small, only 2.5 gallons, and I have a filter but it is very low flow and does not agitate the water surface because my fish stops eating altogether if the surface is not still. :(

I have a pretty stable cycle established, but now i m worried it will collapse.

I have two Java ferns and dwarf hairgrass on most of the bottom. I just got some water wisteria to add but it will be in quarantine for a few more days before I can put it in.

With the grass I had to add a plant light and add a liquid CO2 additive daily and aquarium plant fertilizer with every water change.

I also have a moss ball, but I am not sure I like it and I might get rid of it.

What is a good amount of plants to keep in a 2.5 gallon to up the oxygen?
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #37 
Oldfishlady

As long as the plants are in active growth and the tank isn't overstocked the plants will create oxygen the system needs as well as use up any byproducts produced by anything organic in the tank.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #38 
Atena

Do you mean overstocked with fish or plants?

My betta Guppy is an only fish, he has no companions and I don't think he wants any. he seems very happy. He is enjoying the less frequent water changes. I noticed he is starting to bite his tail whenever I do a water change so I am trying to keep it to a minimum to reduce stress, but still keep him healthy. I think more plants will help that process.

I am also considering a bubbler but i am not sure this will help either.

Can you over-plant?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #39 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't add a bubbler since that could drive off too much CO2 that is naturally in the tank for the plants.

With a single Betta in a 2.5gal tank with light filtration from a gentle flow filter, live active growing plants with maybe a few shrimp and/or snails....You don't need to worry about the dissolved oxygen levels in the tank.

I would recommend 50% weekly at most water changes-provided that the plants are thriving and no you can't over plant, however, you can have so many plants that you don't have room for the Betta to swim.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-17-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #40 
Atena

Thank OFL, I am glad I don't need the bubbler.

I don't have shrimp or snalils, should I consider getting some and what do they do for the tank?