Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #1 
teeneythebetta

QT situation...

Okay... So.. I'm fishless cycling my 10 gallon tank. I put my female betta into a temporary 2.5 gal heated tank...*
Once the cycle gets close to ending, I would like to bring home another female to quarantine for 2 weeks.* (the 10 gal will be divided)

Where my 2.5 gal is- it is inconvenient to my sister. So she wants it moved asap. Would it be cruel of me to keep the new female in her cup, floating in the 2.5 for a week or two along side my current girl?* I would divide them so they don't upset one another.

What do you think?? I have the aqua culture betta wave 2.5, I was going to divide it and float the newbie in the other side. I don't want her sharing the same water... Unless you can think of something else that can fit in half of that tank...

Ideas?? Or maybe I should try to find a glass jar & clean it or a container that could fit??

I do not have another Extra heater so I can't put them seperately

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 07-18-2012 at 04:09 PM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #2 
MSG

I have 3 Marineland 2.5 Gallon Glass Aquariums from my friend who moved out of state.

I NEVER used these tanks till I brought the bettas back. The cool thing I found about these tanks is you can create a little mini divider by using.....

1. Standard CD jewel case (Rinse with water and scrub it with a acrylic safe scrub pad.)
  2. Cotton swab with plastic handle. (Cut in half with a sharp pair of scissors)
  3. Position the CD case where you want to divide the tank.
  4. Use the swabs to hold in place.
  5. Check for stability.

Important Note: Don't fill the tank up all the way or one of the bettas might hurdle over the case/divider.

DVD cases may work better, but I recycled all of mine.

Here's a glimpse at what it looks like.

Yeah, it's not a permanent solution, it's MEANT to be temporary, but it's much better than leaving them in their original display cups. Also the kritter keeper type containers I have are scratched up.

I've never seen that wave aquarium, seems cool, but it'll definitely be a little harder to divide with all those cUrVes.

Don't feel guilty about shrinking her tank. It's only temporary.

BTW, how much do Walmarts sell bettas for? It's been over a year since I've been to a Walmart.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #3 
katrina89

you could find a vase that is tall enough that it is above the water
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

What beautiful fish! But what I was trying to say is that I need them to stay in the same tank, divided. But I don't want to transfer any disease/illness. One betta is just in there til the cycling is done and the other needs to be quarantined for 2 weeks.

Also I would love to have a vase but I have two cats so that won't work xD
Old 07-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #5 
MSG

Well, this is a perfect solution if you have a dollar tree type store in your neighborhood. Take measurements of the tank. Go to DT and pick out a clear glass/plastic cup or vase that fits inside your wave tank.

Glass is better because of it's weight, it's less likely to tip over.

I went to home goods last week to check out the crystal vase/tank options. Too much selection.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Well, this is a perfect solution if you have a dollar tree type store in your neighborhood. Take measurements of the tank. Go to DT and pick out a clear glass/plastic cup or vase that fits inside your wave tank.

Glass is better because of it's weight, it's less likely to tip over.

I went to home goods last week to check out the crystal vase/tank options. Too much selection.
Yes I have a dollar tree near me... I will have to check it out
Old 07-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #7 
MSG

If you plan on housing teeney with another girl I think you'll need you'll need a minimum of 4 bettas for a sorority. But I'm sure you're already aware of that.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
If you plan on housing teeney with another girl I think you'll need you'll need a minimum of 4 bettas for a sorority. But I'm sure you're already aware of that.
Yes I'm aware :) Teeney and the newbie will be in the 10 gallon, divided. So each girl will have 5 gallons to themselves :)
Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

Oh sorry I didn't see the last part you wrote.

Um I don't look at the price for males at walmart.. But females are like $3 I think.. Or $4 something like that... My betta wave came with a divider :)
Old 07-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #10 
MSG

Here's the options I considered when I was at the store last week. I thought of creating a custom tank for the halfmoon betta.

Most of these vases/crystal were $17 or less.

My favorite one was the rectangular crystal one that looks like a clear window box planter.

I love the Fluval Edge style tanks

Let me know what happens @ DT. I generally stop by a DT once every 2 months, but I always walk out empty handed.

Next time I drop by one, I'll swing by the glass/kitchenware aisles.