Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #1 
JikoJiko

Exclamation Breeding my Plakat Male Betta with who???

Hello everyone. I have a ASAP question on the line. lol . Anyways, what if I breed my male Betta with a smaller female? Or is this even possible. The female seems to be showing signs of breeding. One day when I jarred a male in front of her. She immediately showed vertical bars. I feed them frozen bloodworms, High quality Flakes, Mosquito Larvae, worms (small), also as well as those little maggot looking critters for about two months now. The female I have no clue what on earth type she is. So if any of yall can help me figure that out it would be great!!! Though she has been a very dark color lately and not showing her horiz. stripes. My females naturally have those two Horiz. Stripes stressed or not stressed, the stripes are visible. Yet this time its not present at all. Only present when I turn on the lights. After she gets use to the lights she turns a light purple-babyblue hue.

SO back to my other question. Is it OKAY to breed a smaller female with a slightly larger male??? (P.S. shes not like tiny compared to him. Maybe about 3-4 cm shorter in length.)

Some photos :

Female Betta. Dunno what type it is. Help!!! P.S. the female is the smaller one. not the huge camera hogger.
Name:  DSC03424.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  DSC03437.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  74.4 KB

MAle plakat.

Name:  DSC03441.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  33.1 KB
JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #2 
lvandert

If you could get a full shot of the girl flaring, or tell us how many rays she has in her tail we could help you out.

As for size you do generally want fish the same size, she might be a bit too small/young to match his size still.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #3 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
If you could get a full shot of the girl flaring, or tell us how many rays she has in her tail we could help you out.

As for size you do generally want fish the same size, she might be a bit too small/young to match his size still.

LOL. Dumb Betta dont want to stay still!!! I've taken over 20 pictures of her. Yet she doesn't like to stay still!!! these were the best ones. I'll try again. This is frustrating. The larger one always hogs the camera; therefore chasing the one I want to take pictures to swim away. Maybe I can jar her alone and take it. !!! I have never seen her flare. : (

I cant really see her rays because she is always on the move. Also quite transparent. >: O

About the size, well that's a bummer. Thank you though. I'll try to get clearer pictures of her. ; P
Old 07-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #4 
lvandert

lol alright. If you can just get a picture of her tail and then from there we could help. or maybe where did you get her at? Sometimes certain stores only sell one kind
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #5 
Anitax3x

Regardless if she is willing, and he is willing. Have you done your research? do you have all the supplies you need for the fry? Thats what needs to be done way before this step. You could have up to 500 fry and you need seperate jars for every male you have. Just a little to think about before you toss the female in with the male.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #6 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
Regardless if she is willing, and he is willing. Have you done your research? do you have all the supplies you need for the fry? Thats what needs to be done way before this step. You could have up to 500 fry and you need seperate jars for every male you have. Just a little to think about before you toss the female in with the male.
LOL. DUh... I have already successfully spawned a spawn already. Ive placed their homes at my LFS as well as with friends. There will always be alot more to learn. You will never know everything from the start. I personally DO Trial and Error... Because I am actually experiencing it in real life. Researching is superb, but researching is not the actual thing happening. Not all spawns go exactly as research has for told. That's where Trial and Error comes along. The first couple of groups that spawned betta's didnt have research. Trial and error is the ultimate key in understanding the true PASsion of breeding Bettas. Not what worked for someone else.

210 Jars to jar fry!!! two 10 gallons for spawning. Two 20 gallons (long) for females (that I want personally). ETC..etc...etc..

__--- One may not know how it feels till one actually does it oneself even with all the research in the world ---__

Last edited by JikoJiko; 07-20-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #7 
KadenJames

In all honesty, I think you should do lots more research before you decide to breed. What are your plans for the offspring? Do you know how betta genetics work? Do you know what the parents will produce? Do you have the proper equipment and supplies (cultures, growout tubs, IAL, live plants, 100+ jars, etc)? Are you aware of the spawning process? Are these pet store fish, or fish from a breeder?

Quote:
LOL. DUh... I have already successfully spawned a spawn already. Ive placed their homes at my LFS as well as with friends. There will always be alot more to learn. You will never know everything from the start. I personally DO Trial and Error... Because I am actually experiencing it in real life.

210 Jars to jar fry!!! ETC
Whoops, you must have posted that as I was tying. It's great that you have successfully spawned before, but I believe there is more you can learn. I can tell you that female is a veiltail, and the offspring won't exactly be of decent quality. You should strive to start your own line of good quality bettas- that way you could potentially make a profit, learn about genetics, and in the meantime you are improving the overall betta splenden species, instead of multiplying bettas with scrambled genetics.

Last edited by KadenJames; 07-20-2012 at 09:40 AM.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Have you asked around to see what tail types, colors, patterns, etc that people want? The BUYER or ADOPTER should have say.

Have you decided to work on color, form, or "just because?" It's very important to have a goal, not just fill LFS's...

Do you have medications on hand in case the PK male decides to take a good chunk out of your female? Unlike the long finned fellas, PK males are a lot more agile

Are the fish from a store? If from a pet store, keep in mind if you would like to continue breeding getting higher quality bettas would be a lot better, because you will have the upper hand with selling or rehoming bettas. I asked around, made a poll etc for the buyer/adopter, plus made sure to get a decent quality pair(s) :)

hope it helped a little bit. And I do understand the trial and error - I can only learn ever so much from paper and internet, but actually doing it you learn as well. Just make sure you have the basics down
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #9 
Anitax3x

I'm glad you feel this way jikojiko, however it makes you sound a bit ignorant. Knowledge is helpful and It is beneficial to the fish you are raising and breeding for you to read about it and make the best conditions you can for them. If you feel that way then no need to ask any questions right?
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
I'm glad you feel this way jikojiko, however it makes you sound a bit ignorant. Knowledge is helpful and It is beneficial to the fish you are raising and breeding for you to read about it and make the best conditions you can for them. If you feel that way then no need to ask any questions right?

Agreed. Why ask questions when you think you can do everything yourself?

You said yourself you do not know what the female is. To me she looks like a VT. If her anal fin SWOOPS beneath the caudal, it's VT. (with exceptions to odd finned CTs but those are obvious). Make sure to have a hand on tail type =D It helps.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote