Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #1 
Calypso77

Looking for a new Betta

Ok so my one beloved Betta passed away yesterday and now I have an empty 1/2 gal tank with no Betta in it. I am in the process of sterilizing the tank as I am unsure exactly what was wrong with my little guy.

My question is (I do still have a Betta) but what do you look for in a healthy Betta? I just can't handle another ill Betta right now and losing another one, so I really want to know what to look for when picking one out?

Thanks so much.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 
TheCrabbyTabby

Well, first off, and not to be mean, but a half gallon tank really is not big enough for a betta to live in. I would go for at least a 3 gallon tank. Some may argue that even that isn't big enough, but I think its the bare minimum a fish like a betta should be housed in. They also need a source of heat or they will start to shut down aka not take food, stay in one place in the tank, that sort of thing. There should be a tank heater in there because they are tropical fish after all.

Now that we have that out of the way, a healthy betta should be swimming around in their cup/bowl or what ever they are in at the store and engage in flaring. Their fins shouldn't be clamped and they should have bright and alert eyes.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 
Calypso77

Ok I know you weren't saying that to be mean and no offense but I wasn't asking about my size of tank.

Thanks for the help though on what to look for in a new Betta I appreciate that. Still gonna take me some time I think to get another one. I had to clean my other guy today and it took me over 2 hours to get courage up to do so, just a little worried about doing anything now after my sick fella.

Thanks again
Old 07-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

To avoid having a betta become sick, remember to do many changings to help prevent diseases! :D

For the size tank you have, I believe its a 50% change everyday :)

Good luck!
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #5 
Calypso77

Thanks. I do a 100% change every 3rd day with my guy he seems good with that.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

He may be good with that, but the ammonia is building up faster than you think. I do every other day changes with a 2 gallon tank.

As long as there is no filter/heater, the tank can become dangerous quickly, and can greatly affect the betta's health and life :(
Old 07-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #7 
Calypso77

I hear what your saying, thanks. My sister has been doing this with her Betta's for years and years and they are healthy and perfectly fine. 100% changes every 3 days is not that bad.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #8 
TheCrabbyTabby

Just because a betta lives doesn't mean it thrives.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

As Crabby said ^^

You sounded like you wanted a happy and lively betta, right? It's completely understandable.

We are just helping you with what you need to do for that ^^

I've had my first betta for 5 months now, and it's thanks to everyone's help here that he may live to be way longer than if I cramped in the tank I had previously with the weekly cleanigs I used to do ^^

You don't have to take our advice though. I think we just hope you read them and take them to mind :)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #10 
Calypso77

Ok I came on here to ask what to look for in a Betta, nothing else. Thanks for your suggestions on that they are appreciated a lot.