Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #1 
ojmccaf1963

My Betta fish is lonely ... and looking for a mate!!!

I've had my betta fish for 3-4 months now, and he looks pretty lonely swimming around in his bowl. I'll tap the glass, move it around, and he'll flap his little fins ... and he'll swim up to me, but he seems very lonely! I'd like to get him a little companion really! But, I've been told that 2 male betta won't get along or I could give him a female betta but you know what that'll lead too!!! lol Any recommendations for my lonely betta fish?
Attached Images

ojmccaf1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #2 
teeneythebetta

A female cannot live with a male. Not only because they will breed- but they CAN and WILL kill each other. That is why we try to leave breeding to the professionals, and they only put male and female together to breed and then they are separated.

Your betta is not lonely, I can assure you. They are not social creatures and do fine on their own. If he appears sluggish, it may be because of the environment he is in. IMO every betta should have a 2.5 gallon or more heated tank. Bettas are jumpers and many bettas die from jumping out of their bowl. They are tropical fish and do well in heated environments.

If you want him to have a tank mate, the smallest you will need is a 5 gallon heated tank. With that, you can have a nerite snail. Actual fish companions would need more space.

Hope I helped :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #3 
Meggie6347

+1

How big is your bowl/tank? Is it heated? Water change schedule?

And it sounds like he just likes attention...mine do that a lot
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #4 
ojmccaf1963

Well, I do apologize that was his first bowl that he had --- I bought a much bigger taller/deeper bowl that I do change but I do plan on getting him a tank eventually!! I just figured he needed a mate!! lol
ojmccaf1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojmccaf1963 View Post
Well, I do apologize that was his first bowl that he had --- I bought a much bigger taller/deeper bowl that I do change but I do plan on getting him a tank eventually!! I just figured he needed a mate!! lol
That is great to hear!
I suggest you put a piece of cardboard with holes poked in it on top of his bowl until you can get a tank with a hood. In the wild they jump from puddle to puddle until they reach a large body of water. His natural instinct is to jump but he doesn't realize there Is no other water to jump to. with a cover he won't even try to jump.

:)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote