Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #1 
JBosley

Gravel to do a planted tank? Help! Again...

Hey!
So needless to say, my mother was less than thrilled when I said I was going to remove the divider in my 15 gallon and get one of my boys his own 5 gallon tank

New plan! Got a 3 gallon, used, Tetra tank for 25$ for Maize since he is in a small critter keeper. And I am keeping my 15 gallon divided! I still want to plant these tanks. The 3 gallon I am getting plants, and a filter + cord for the light (unfortunately it didn't come with the plug, ugh!) tomorrow (hopefully), but wanted to check about my 15 gallon. Is the gravel okay for a planted tank? It's fairly large... but I REALLY don't want to get all new gravel and re-do the entire tank. It is already cycled, can I just add some live plants to it with the fish already in it?
Attached Images

JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Thats not the best gravel....but you could try it and see if it will work....the thing with large gravel is that the nutrients flow too fast though it and make it hard for the plant to feed...if they are root feeders that is.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #3 
mattoboy

You can try the Seachem gravel, but I cant remember the name :/
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #4 
kfryman

Unless you aren't getting stem plants, swords, Crypts or other plant that needs to be planted the gravel is fine. Anubias, java fern, and mosses would do fine with that gravel, but I can't really suggest anything else unless you float wisteria.

If you have a filter almost all the bacteria will be in there and it will wholly adjust with new gravel. Get a small diameter gravel or sand, as long as you keep it up, sand can be really good since roots can easily grow. If you don't want new gravel stick with the plants I recommended at first.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #5 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Unless you aren't getting stem plants, swords, Crypts or other plant that needs to be planted the gravel is fine. Anubias, java fern, and mosses would do fine with that gravel, but I can't really suggest anything else unless you float wisteria.

If you have a filter almost all the bacteria will be in there and it will wholly adjust with new gravel. Get a small diameter gravel or sand, as long as you keep it up, sand can be really good since roots can easily grow. If you don't want new gravel stick with the plants I recommended at first.
Thanks you so much! I was going to do Java Fern, Cambomba, Hornwort and Moneywort. Would those last 3 be okay in this gravel?
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote