Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #1 
HaleyM

Fluval Edge?

I was thinking about getting a Fluval Edge tank for a betta! They seem to have a great system with the lights/filters. Plus they have the great looks ;)! They come in a 6gal, or a 12gal. But I was wondering if anyone had experience with them? Any problems or other comments? I just want to do my research before I buy! :)
HaleyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #2 
staffylover

Due to the design of the Edge there is only a small opening where your fish would be able to go to get some air and I have heard of Betta's getting stressed in the edge for this very reason. I have an edge and as much as I would love another Betta I dont want to risk it.
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #3 
HaleyM

I thought that bettas only needed to get to the air if their water was not filtered/airated?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #4 
staffylover

Both my boys are filtered but they still regularly go to the top of the tank for air
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #5 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyM View Post
I thought that bettas only needed to get to the air if their water was not filtered/airated?
Nope, they definitely need to breathe from the surface regardless of filter or aeration. Someone on this forum is keeping a betta successfully in an Edge but I can't remember her username. Hopefully she'll see this and comment.

If you're wondering about quality, though, I can tell you that the Fluval range is well-made and good value for the money. I own a Spec and haven't had a single problem with the tank, filter or lighting. I heard a story where someone's child knocked their Fluval aquarium off an end-table onto a wooden floor, and it survived with no damage.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #6 
HaleyM

Good thing I asked first!!! Well in that case, there is a Fluval Chi which is equally as attractive. Comes in a 5 gal and a 6.6. The top is open and it has a built in filter! I really hate the bulky look a filter can add, but the fluval chi makes it look like a pretty acessory! So does anyone have experience with this tank? Or do you think it would be to small?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

It would not be too small.
The open top will defintely give your betta more surface air BUT it also risks him jumping out of the tank. There's a lid for it for an additional $12 I think?
I considered long and hard getting this tank because I loved the design but in my case I didn't want to deal with the open top and with anything other than a sponge filter. I've heard of bettas getting stuck in the filter of the Chi.
So I went with the Mr Aqua. It was everything I wanted in a tank and I didn't have to pay for a filter I was not going to use. I added an acylic top and a strip light.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #8 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Ooooh, have you seen the 12 gallon extra long Mr Aqua? I want it!
http://mraqua.net/products/frameless...lass-aquarium/

Last edited by mursey; 07-17-2012 at 12:13 AM.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #9 
vilmarisv

Me likey!!!!
Oooh if only I had so much surface space to display it properly!
I love those tanks... can't believe it took me so long to find them LOL!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #10 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
My local store just got one in, they posted it on their Facebook page but I don't have room for it either. :( I looked on Youtube and saw some people's tanks (this exact one I posted about) and they look really cool all set up with fish and plants. I would like a Mr Aqua next time I buy a tank, even if I can't fit the 12 long.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote