Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #1 
cjconcepcion

Air pump?

I need to buy a new air pump to run the sponge filter in my spawn tank, the one i have WORKS fine, but its at least 15 years old. (Ive seen pictures of myself as a little girl standing infront of my dads aquarium thats using the same air pump im using now) The thing works, but the sound it makes is unbearable, its like having a lawnmower in my room. Anybody know a good quiet air pump? i dont have too much money, id like to spend about 15 dollars on it, for a 10 gallon tank. I know whatever i get will make some noise from the vibrations and stuff, and thats fine. I just would like one that dosent sound like a lawnmower...
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #2 
Goldibug

I have the Tetra Whisper pump (pretty inexpensive at walmart) and I love it more than any other air pump I've seen. It really is quiet for a pump. I can hear the waterfall from my filter more then I can the pump :)
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #3 
Aus

I'm using Marina pumps, the ones with soft rubber feet, which makes for them being pretty quiet unless they're resting against something.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #4 
MSG

Don't you have a SLR?

Those are 100x more expensive than a cheap air pump.

I have a wide variety of air pumps, but I rarely use any of them because those little air bubbles they create also splash water around the area your tank is located UNLESS you have a tight fitting lid.

What make & model is your 15 year air pump? I'm always fascinated by old school aquarium equipment. I have a Penn-Plax Silencer & it's probably older than yours, that my friend gave me. One cool feature about it is it has a adjustable air flow thing.

I just took pictures of mine, but there's someone selling it on Ebay as well, so here's a link to give you an idea what it looks like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-PLAX-Si...-/320670029915

I wouldn't recommend buying this version because of it's age. If the rubber flapper/plunger inside is cracked, it's not going to be easy to find parts for it.

If you really want a new air pump, search CL for yard sales/rummage sales/church type sales.

I got the orange kritter keeper cage that I nearly melted, with an orange octopus decoration, a small fish net, dirty gravel & unopened jar of fish food for I think less than $1.

Otherwise the cheapest air pumps are generally quite crappy and will still cost you at least $5.

Since your pump works but creates a lot of noise that bothers you, just keep an eye out for a yard sale.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #5 
MSG

What model numbers are the air pumps that you guys have? Each maker has different model for a different consumer.

From what I know this is how they break down their model lines...
  • Beginner, cheap, no thrills, no options
  • Intermediate - generally a bit more powerful
  • Advanced/enthusiast - with features that usually allow some sort of adjustment/control.
Most air pumps have some sort of rubber/foam/cushion to minimize vibration.

If you're buying used stuff, check to make sure someone didn't remove them.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #6 
cjconcepcion

Im willing to spend more for a better one, its just that i splurged all my money into stuff for breeding so i dont have very much left haha, the pump i have is by aquaculture.. thats really all it says, it dosent have the same logo as we see now.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #7 
cjconcepcion

also this thing has been slowly dying.. last night it woke me up in the middle of the night with an even louder sound (if thats possible). and the sponge filter its connected to was barely running
Old 07-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #8 
MSG

I think AquaCulture is a Walmart only brand

I have one of those, out of all the airpumps I have. I think the aquaculture was one of the noisiest/cheapest and it's bundled in with their tank kits.

No, it's not unusual for it to get noisier. Air pumps are pretty simple devices. When I tortured baby turtles when I was younger, I had one break on me, so I took it apart to see how it worked.

The rubber diaphragm thing that creates the mini bursts of air, is probably old or cracked. The cheaper ones tend to wear out faster.

If you were close by I would trade you a new air pump, since I have plenty. Under the condition we could swap betta pellets. I like to rotate their food with different brands, so they don't get fixated on one type of food.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #9 
zzrguy

I have the tetra 10 I paid less then $10 bucks. Heres a link
http://www.aquariumguys.com/whisperair1.html
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #10 
Goldibug

Zzrguy, that's the ones I use too :) They're awesome!
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote