Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 
Sprinkles55

Question Opinions on 5gal companions?

Alright, this has been on my mind and my boyfriend was wondering the same thing as well. For right now, I have my male crowntail Sprinkles in his 5 gallon tank and his only friends are 4 nano marimo moss balls. They're about...penny sized. It's really cute, actually.

ANYWAYS. I was wondering if getting a nerite snail would be a bad idea? I'm honestly not sure. I'm visiting the pet store tomorrow so I might get one, or something else. Or nothing if 5 gallons is too tiny.

What are your opinions?

Thank you for all of your input in advance!
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #2 
djembekah

one nerite snail should be okay. I believe Nerites are herbivorous so your bioload shouldn't get too high. just keep up on your water changes!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

In a 5 gal, you really don't have Many options. The betta will enjoy all 5 gallons . You could try ghost or cherry shrimp. But I have found most my bettas( I have12 and am starting to breed) will kill anything in the tank with the exception of one large black half moon male who shares a ten gal with 4 albino cories. Some snails just bring disease and bio load that lowers the water quality. You could try using live plants, that's a fun experience with a betta. The betta fish are gorgeous but they never get lonely.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:50 AM   #4 
djembekah

I think it really depends on the personality of the fish. No they probably wont get lonely, but not all fish will kill everything in sight. My bettas have all done well with tank mates. Swish did try to nip the antennae off my rabbit snail, but other than that he was fine with her. The little girls in the sorority also tried to nom rabbit snail antennae, but got over it. and none of the girls, nor Zeddie, ever tried to hurt any of the fish in the community.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #5 
craiger75

Yeah, every so often - today again, as a matter of fact - I get a bug about getting mine a roommate. Fact is, a 5g is probably just too small. I thought about snails too, but if they eat shrimp why wouldn't they go after a snail? He's got a lot of time on his fins in there! It's not just bettas that can be aggressive either. I just read even those African Dwarf Frogs can be as well. Nerites are sensitive to nitrates, so keeping up with water changes benefits both.

So, I would agree plants, or other decorations are probably the best way to go. My betta builds me a bubble nest every time I drop a new plant in - lol.

Last edited by craiger75; 07-19-2012 at 09:06 AM.
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #6 
lilyrazen

Plants are always a good tankmate. I have two tanks that will probably end up planted, because plants don't have to worry about agression or overstocking (unless you suffocate your betta!)
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #7 
Sprinkles55

Thank you everybody! I actually searched around my LPS and couldn't find any nerite snails anyways, so I disregarded the idea and don't believe I'll be getting any tank mates for him anymore.

I'm actually kind of afraid to try any live plants besides marimo moss balls I'm too afraid that the plant will die...or something. It's kind of silly for me to worry about that, considering I keep up on water changes as much as possible, but still! It seems like a big task. I'll definitely need to study before I attempt it!
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #8 
KPainter

I find plants to be super easy and such a valuable addition to any tank. They really contribute to the health and happiness of most fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
KPainter is offline   Reply With Quote