Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #1 
vP H O T O Nv

Few Questions Semi important.

I would like to say hello to everybody, new to the site, just want a few things answered.

I ended up getting myself a Betta about a month ago, strapped for cash and being selfish I got him that Betta cube because it looked cool. Thing is it's only 1/3 gallon and didn't have the room to put anything in really except the few rocks and a background design thing it came with. Feeling terrible about his living conditions I did move up to a 1/2 gal tank about a week ago (I don't have much room where I live.)

When I got him I did read up on a few things. Basic care and what not. So I don't seem like to terrible of a pet owner. I do change his water Every Saturday before I go to work which is the same time with Betta water. Feed him twice a day, 10 a.m, and 4:45 p.m Alternating between Blood worms which he seems to love, and betta food seems neutral on that. Keep the water at roughly 78 degrees F +-2.

I read that a happy betta will form a "bubble nest". I don't know if this is true. I did notice that in his small tank he made a "nest" within the first 12 hours of moving in and every time I changed the water a new one appeared. He's been living in this larger tank for about a week, but I don't see that same pattern now that he is in the new tank, I mean he's healthy but no nest.
I also noticed that sometimes he would swim by the Background thing and see his reflection, well we all know they poof up and attack. It wasn't bad after he moved from the side view he couldn't see it so he would relax.

None of these habits seem to be happening anymore, I don't know if it's just the change. Or if something is going on that I am unaware about. Any help would be nice.
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #2 
Aus

Welcome to the wonderful world of betta keeping. They're really addictive little guys, and quite enjoyable. :)

Quote:
I did move up to a 1/2 gal tank about a week ago (I don't have much room where I live.)

I do change his water Every Saturday
^ You'll need to be changing his water a lot more frequently than that to avoid ammonia buildup damaging his gills & skin, leading to disease.

I'd recommend at -least- twice weekly, but better every 2nd day in a half gallon. You'll also have trouble finding a heater for a tank that small - if you live somewhere that gets cold winters, he'll not be happy once the temp plummets. Think about upgrading to at least a gallon, you can get little mini heaters for those and change water 1 x 50% + 1 x 100% to keep it clean, a bit less work. Meantime, those very frequent water changes are essential..

Quote:
Feed him twice a day, 10 a.m, and 4:45 p.m Alternating between Blood worms which he seems to love, and betta food seems neutral on that.
You could cut back on the freeze dried worms as they can make a betta bloaty, feed him those once a week (or a small piece after water changes.. I give all of mine a treat after a wc, now they get really cross if I forget, ha). Live or frozen brine shrimp make good snacks too. A good quality pellets is heaps better than flakes, will which foul your water fast and most bettas are 'meh' about flakes..

Quote:
I read that a happy betta will form a "bubble nest".
Well. Not really 'happy' so much as 'sexually mature and hoping a female happens along'. But it's true bettas which are feeling very poorly or are stressed are less likely to nest. My weedy, chronically ill little guy still nests, though.
Quote:
None of these habits seem to be happening anymore, I don't know if it's just the change. Or if something is going on that I am unaware about.
I'd say it's the change. Give him time to settle in, I bet he's nesting again in no time.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #3 
TheCrabbyTabby

First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of betta keeping. You have now been bitten by the betta bug, so be forwarned, it will be both fun and addicting from now on.

Secondly, a half gallon is really far too small for a betta. They need AT LEAST a 3 gallon tank IMO. Some argue less, some argue more, but I believe that is the bare minimum size wise that you should go.

Third, water changes. Being in such a tiny tiny bowl/tank, he is probably suffering from ammonia poisoning. The levels of ammonia are rising as the fish excretes waste, and as a result, builds to a point where it literally burns the fish alive. You'll need to up the amount of water changes to at least 3 times a week, if not more to keep up with the levels in such a tiny little tank.

Fourth, is the food. A good quality food is essential for betta health. Feed him about three pellets twice a day and you should be good. Freeze dried blood worms should only be offered a few times a week as the betta will become more prone to refusing his pellets in favor of the blood worms if fed more often.

Lastly, is heat. Bettas are tropical fish and as such, NEED heated water. Once you've upgraded to AT LEAST a 3 gallon tank, you will be needing a water heater and a thermometer to measure the water temperature. Make sure to get an adjustable heater and a thermometer that isn't the kind that is that strip you stick on the outside of the tank. A good old fashioned glass styled one is what I use. Make sure the water is at 78-80 degrees.

Do these things and your betta will live a much longer and much happier life.

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 07-19-2012 at 03:42 AM.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote