Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #1 
Peewie

Is he sick?

Hello again... After my betta staying at the top of the tank for a while he got used to his tank and was happy and active until 2 days ago when I changed his water because it had got too hot... I gave him freeze dried blood worms that day along with pellets and ever since he's just been sitting at the bottom of his tank he only swims up if he sees me and thinks I'm there to feed him, I don't know what's wrong I'm afraid he's getting sick... Could it be that I overfed him? The pet shop told me I have to feed him 2 pellets every 2 days but I thought that might be too little.. Today I only gave him 2 pellets but the day I fed him bloodworms he also ate about 5 pellets plus 3 blood worms not at the same time but throughout the day, should I fast him for a day or should I feed him anything special he's not making bubbles anymore either he was when I first put him in but after the water change he stopped I'm so worried :(
Peewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Was the new water a different temperature than the tank water? And bubblenests just mean ready to breed. It doesn't mean happy. :/ Feed everyday but fast 1 day a week.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #3 
Peewie

Yes it was because the tank water was too warm so I did the change and it was cooler water... Maybe I should fast him tomorrow then? But I only gave him 2 pellets today
Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #4 
LizzyP

What is the current temperature of the water? What size is it? Do you have a heater? The water is probably too cold, making him sit at the bottom and become lethargic. 2 pellets every 2 days is way too little, I feed mine 3 pellets in the morning, 3 in the evening and 2 blood worms a week. 3 bloodworms and 5 pellets is quite a lot in 1 day. Think about how big their stomach is compared to their size.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

NEVER put in water that's a completely different temperature. He would have gotten into shock and die. Can you do a 100% water change if your tank isn't filtered? Make sure that it's the same temperature as the tank and acclimate him VERY slowly. Fast him if he looks a bit fat. That's the only reason to fast. To let them clean their digestive system. Feed the bloodworms 1-3 times a week. He might get bloated.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #6 
LizzyP

Or here, fill out this so we can get all the necessary information in one swoop.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #7 
Peewie

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? i try to keep it at 80 but sometimes it goes upto 83, my house gets very warm if im not home and the A.C isnt on
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? I have a heater but dont turn it on
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He's alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Ive been giving him pellets and I gave him freeze dried blood worms the other day for the first time, I've only had him a couple of days
How often do you feed your betta fish? The pet store told me 2 pellets every other day, I usually give him 3 pellets a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I changed about 50% of the water for the first time 4 days after I got him
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I havent tested
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not that ive noticed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes... He just sits at the bottom corner of the tank all day
When did you start noticing the symptoms?2 days ago, after the water change and the bloodworms
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I fed him less today because I thought he got this way from eating too much
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no idea
Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

He's probably in shock. Do what I say about the 100% change. Make sure that it's the same temperature and if he's fat, fast him. Only feed him bloodworms 1-3 times a week. Try to get a fan to cool down the water. Get him as comfortable as possible and keep him in the coolest place in the house.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #9 
LizzyP

Hmm..He might be stressed from moving from a tiny cup to a bigger tank. Fast him tomorrow, no pellets, no blood worms, nothing. See if that helps any. But I'm no expert, maybe someone else with more experience will come. If worst comes to worst PM Oldfishlady (OFL for short) and ask her what she thinks.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Do you know what the temp of the water was when you did the water change ? It just may be to cold for him and if he was used to warmer water I would change it to at least 78 and see how he does.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote