Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #11 
tara41192

Similar case but worse.....

I have the same problem too! I brought home a sick betta two days ago and my parents don't know about it. The reason why I didn't tell them is because I already had 3 bettas and I'm a college student juggling them back and forth from Florida. Then I promised my dad that I wouldn't get another betta after I got a third one. I broke the promise when I saw this little bubbie on his tummy not swimming around much and its a baby. I'm trying to figure out a way to explain it to him so A) I don't have to return the fish to the store or B) Flush him.
tara41192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #12 
Knitterly

good luck!!!!!!
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #13 
tara41192

Thank you!
tara41192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #14 
ZubinBetta

Hi Teeney! I'm sorry about your gals in sorority. Trips to Wal-mart are so much nicer when you know you have a space for "just one more." (And the diabolical voice whispers into the ear, "Isn't there always room for 'just one more'?") I never really solved the "trip to fish store" dilemma for myself. I can't say I try to avoid betta purveyors, because I don't, despite the best of intentions. I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I think it's true that trips to pet stores and visits to Aquabid are like instant betta shows, put on just for you right now. Who can--and should--say no to that? Although the advice is very good, to know what you can support at home and *then* go investigate the aisles of bettas.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #15 
teeneythebetta

Thank you to everybody!!

I got to walmart and she was still there! She is a very pale yellow, so you can slightly see her insides (its not as gross looking as it sounds) and I noticed red dots on her insides... I didnt want to risk getting a sick betta... so I didnt buy her.. The other female bettas were either half dead or had dropsy.

Although I was dissappointed that I couldn't get her, I went to petsmart. Over half of the females showed signs of dropsy
So the only healthy looking ones were 2 cambodians and this little girl! I named her Tiny. Poor thing, she was very hungry, trying to eat the scum on the bottom of her cup .. I posted in the disease & emergencies section hoping I can figure out why she has that red spot on her gill flap... I can't wait to see her colors brighten up, she is very pretty and really appreciating her temporary 2.5 heated tank!!

teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #16 
toad

Aww congrats on your new baby, Teeney! She is adorable :) I love her little pink fins.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #17 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Aww congrats on your new baby, Teeney! She is adorable :) I love her little pink fins.
Aww thanks! She sure is a cutie :D
Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #18 
MSG

My PS has a good selection, most don't seem ill like what you described. But the employees are quick to respond to most issues.

My PS still has the female bettas on sale for $1 till 7/21
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #19 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
My PS has a good selection, most don't seem ill like what you described. But the employees are quick to respond to most issues.

My PS still has the female bettas on sale for $1 till 7/21
Yep... She was on sale for $0.99... Obviously they receie poor care. I was told the red on her gills is ammonia burns. Poor thing. I'm going to get her some AQ salt and stress coat..
Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #20 
MSG

• You don't need to use stress coat/aquarium salt that often.

I would SAVE that for real emergencies. Also check in your kitchen to see if you have any NON-IODIZED salt.

• Aquarium salts is just is plain salt without all the extra filler.

I think by adding salt/stress coat, it'll just stress out your new rescue.

I applaud you for buying fish from Walmart & PSmart if they're showing so many signs of illness. I personally would not RISK it.

However if you cannot resist bringing a potentially sick fish home, then you DEFINITELY have to quarantine & make sure you don't cross contaminate any of the equipment you use on your fishies.

Your 10gallon tank looks GREAT in my opinion. It has all these betta type toys & decorations that my tank in cycle is missing.

I have maybe 1 betta type cave & the fake plants were just extras I had laying around.

Good luck with the new one.

• I can see why you want to go the divided tank route instead of the sorority after ordeal with your betta crew.

Another note = vinegar is a good sanitizer if it's NOT diluted. That's why I prefer to use bleach instead. I use a 2%-5% solution of bleach in the kitchen, but I haven't used it on any of the active tanks/decorations.

I'm pretty sure for vinegar, you will need to use 100% vinegar. White vinegar should be the cheapest.

I save the bleach for sever cases of disease.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote