Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #1 
lf0210

Exclamation Beta fin issues?

So, skittle hasn't been doing to good lately. He is a veil tail, and his lower fin seems to be knotted? While his back fin is cut. I'm not sure how it's cut, but it's split. I try and get him to flare, and he tries, but he can't fully spread out like he used too, especially his lower fin. He has a heated tank. Any ideas?
lf0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

You mean that the fin is stuck to itself yes?

This is a type of fin rot known as fin melt where the flesh ends up in a mass. It is healable but takes longer than just growing new fin would.

AQ salt in the water for a start to speed up the injury healing response and slow down any nasties and a water treatment of your favorite general fin medication. I use the multi cure by blue planet. Since he is still moving about and flaring it may not need anything stronger than that. Keep an eye on it

Also as fin melt heals you may see splits appear. a good clean split near the site of melt is expected. It is really just a fin blowout caused by him trying to open his fins all the way.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin, heated, split, tail, veil tail