Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #11 
Tiger Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Bettas can jump out the smallest of openings, they have extremely good aim. It might be a good idea to cover the hole in your tank with a craft mesh now that you know you got a jumper.
Please take this advice and cover the openings with craft mesh! I sadly know from experience how these fish can jump through the smallest of openings! I had a beautiful red dragon scale plakat that did the same exact thing. Sadly though, he jumped out in the middle of the night, and by the time I discovered him the next morning, he was very much dead.

After that, I bought some craft mesh and cut it to fit around the filters in my remaining betta's tanks. I used aquarium silicone to stick the trimmed pieces of mesh to the lids of each tank (being careful not to put the mesh under the portion of the lid where the light is).

Good luck with Kyoshi--I hope he makes a full recovery!!
Tiger Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #12 
ChardFish

I saw one that had jumped out of the teeny hole on top of the pet-store cups.... sneaky little blighters!
ChardFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #13 
Larsa

thanks everyone!!! I gave him a few drops of the stress/slime coat stuff with aloe vera. He is moving both of his pectoral fins now, but hes back fins are still clampy. I already meshed everything possible in all my tanks, no one can possibly jump out!!! I would be very impressed if anyone else got out its super-thick craft mesh and its sealed very well. My husband even helped me so everyone should be safe. I was very very scared he was gonna die!!! I kinda see how he could have gotten out, he is a small plakat after all im sure he was like a torpedo. Right now he is chillin in his shallow critter thingy in the shade ( where all my other fish are) its close to a window but there is very little sunlight but also not too dark. I hope he is very happy I saved him. I was so sure I had lost him. He was in perfect health too :( then he had to jump out of the water. I will probably keep him in his old 1 gal critter keeper until I can get a bigger home for him after he recovers. The new boy my husband got me will take his old spot or maybe I can put him with my girls so Kyoshi can still have his half of the tank. My new boy is very tiny and kinda shy he might get along with my girls like Shiro can. Hes so tiny It would be safer to put him in my 10 gal im scared he will be an escape artist cuz he is so teensy :O My husband feels kinda bad for buying him, lol he was positive kyoshi was gone now he feels like crap. wow. I now have 11 bettas.. @-@
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #14 
Larsa

Oh I forgot to mention, but the new boy we are keeping we are naming Yukinari ( similar to the boy from the anime Girls Bravo) because if he is compatable with my girls he will be a lucky boy and sorta like a pimp :P Im hoping he will get along with the girls ( my girls are sweet and welcoming to other fish) that way Kyoshi can have his home, Im sure he misses his little leaf he sleeps on :3
Old 07-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #15 
noellezim

he is a lucky pimp...lol
noellezim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #16 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardfish View Post
i hope he recovers! This reminds me of my sister goldfish! Sher took him and put him into a red bowl to change the tank, and when she came back, the orange fish was not in the red bowl, but she didnt notice at first. When she did, she came crying to me to find her fish because she couldnt stand to see it dead. I found it under the bed, wound up with lint, hair, sequins, and other debris. I thought i would be funny (i was about 12) and put it in the red bowl and told her it had been there all along. My mom was furious, and was shouting at me, making me stare at the dead fish while my sister cried and she laid out my punishment. Right about then, though, the fish made a little jerk. I pulled the debris off, and it lived for years after that. If i had not been such a smart-ass, we would have buried it before realizing it was alive. Point is- don't give up. Sometimes they will live through the most remarkable escape attempts!
how horrible!!!!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #17 
ChardFish

I felt really bad about making her cry after the fact, but at least the fish was with us for a long time after that. :)
Old 07-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #18 
Larsa

that is so sad, but hopefully your sister forgives you! I would have gotten her a bunch of fishies!!! ^-^ Until I find a home for Yuki, I have a breeder net with a secure lid I can put him in my girl tank, HAHAH if he could get along well with my girls I could try someday to release him with my girls but im scared they would mate of fight. My breeder thingy is awesome but that would be cool to have a pimp fish!!! :'P I would prolly have to get a teeeeeeennnnnyyyyy male betta smaller than okami and release him in there so he would be scared of my big girls to fight. haha but the net thing is safest so I will do that :P

Kyoshi looks a lot better! He is sleeping right now but he seems more active and moving his fins around. He still looks slimey however guess he is still shedding the slime coat.

Thank you for the support everyone, all the prayers and hope really helped! I really thought I lost a baby, ya'll saved me inside which helped saved Kyoshi. T.T
Old 07-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #19 
ChardFish

I am glad he is feeling better. Something I am trying, you might see if it works for you? I have a large one-gallon tank inside a ten gallon. I have the female sorority in the water around the center tank, and I have the option of decorating the gallon tank with whatever/whomever I want, even another type of fish. Its cool. and since the tank is heated, the inner tank water is also heated. and a valve allows me to aerate both. I love it!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #20 
Larsa

^ that sounds like an awesome idea, I will keep that in find for the winter!!! Kyoshi isnt eatting still, just kinda resting at the bottom. I offered beefheart, bloodworms, and his favorite pellets, he just doesnt seem interested. Also, his fins look like they are deteriorating almost like finrot, they are black at the ends too. He usually has pink fan-like fins but they are starting to look terrible. I got 1/4 tsp of aq salt in there to possibly help his fins :/ How long can he go without food!? It scares me because he cant recover without his nutrients. He really doesnt like to move at all, he stays in the middle at the very bottom :( No poopies yet either, its been 3 days since his escape.