Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Kritter Keepers

How do those with Kritter Keepers keep their heaters? The sides look too short to have it vertical, but can you keep it horizontal? Also how do you get the heater cord out of the tank while keeping the lid on?

1 more thing, what kind of heaters would you guys recommend for a 1 gallon? Thanks! :)

Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #2 
Shadyr

Some of them (mediums+ usually) have a section in the lid that you can pop out and pass through cords or airlines. The lids seem to vary from store to store. The medium (1.5 gallon) I got from Petsmart has only a tiny hole in a corner for an airline. The same size one I got from Petco has a circular section (about 2 inches wide) that you can pop out.

However, I usually just leave the lid on, but not secured, with the cord for the heater sneaking out on one side.

I also have a small one that I have for transport or emergencies, it has no holes at all in the lid, so you'd have to DIY that one if you wanted a hole.

Oh - heaters. The medium+ can take my fancy settable heaters just fine, I put them on the back wall at a shallow angle so they fit. The small one can *technically* fit the nice heaters if you get creative, but I think I'll just use one of my small non-adjustables in it if the need arises.

Last edited by Shadyr; 07-19-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #3 
MSG

I would recommend a 50 watt heater with a adjustable thermostat built in. Because it's summer I can go with a 25 watt heater, but once the temperature gets below 30 degrees, a more powerful heater comes in handy.

Remember, get one that's ADJUSTABLE. Visi-therm is the brand I recommend, but feel free to make your own decision.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #4 
LizzyP

So, I didn't get a Kritter Keeper. I got a Tetra 1 gallon with a flat back, perfect for a heater. I got a heater for up to 5 gallons w/an adjustable thermostat. I think it's a TopFin. Seems to be working pretty good right now. Pictures of new betta to come :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote