Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #1 
rckstr1253

So I am moving.....is it worth moving my .....

I have a question for you fellow fish owners. I am moving from NY to KY which is about 12-14 hrs away. Is it worth trying to transport my tetra's and glofish or better to find them a home? I know they sell battery operated aerators to keep oxygen in the water but is this a smart idea or better to sell/give them away?

I really don't want to lose all the money I put into my tank but I don't want my fish dying either. All suggestions are appreciated!
rckstr1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #2 
jaela

It's really up to you whether you think you are able to transport them safely, and whether you're willing to go to the trouble for it. One idea might be to look up how these fish are shipped when ordered and sent through the post, pack them up that way, and transport them separately from your tank.

Another option might be to put up an ad or two on here or craigslist or something similar and see if anyone is willing to pick up the fish and put them into a tank of their own -- you could keep your equipment and start again with new fish when you get where you're going, knowing that your former fish are in a loving new home.

Good luck!
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #3 
rckstr1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaela View Post
It's really up to you whether you think you are able to transport them safely, and whether you're willing to go to the trouble for it. One idea might be to look up how these fish are shipped when ordered and sent through the post, pack them up that way, and transport them separately from your tank.

Another option might be to put up an ad or two on here or craigslist or something similar and see if anyone is willing to pick up the fish and put them into a tank of their own -- you could keep your equipment and start again with new fish when you get where you're going, knowing that your former fish are in a loving new home.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply back. I do like them a lot so I am sad to see them go if I have to let them go. My original idea was to put them in a 5 gallon paint bucket with water from their tank and as soon as I get to kentucky, set the tank up but a few pet store owners here said most won't make the trip as its a long drive in the summer and even if I have the ac on in the car to keep the car from getting hot, it could make their water too cold and kill them/stress them. I wouldn't mind making some of my money back as the fish I have are kind of expensive. I have mostly glo dannio's and glo tetra's. The tetra's were $9 a piece and the glo danio's were $6 a piece.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #4 
Bounce

I don't know what part of Kentucky you are moving to, but I'm in Kentucky and glofish in my area sell from $5 to $6 and I've bought glowlight tetras for around $3 each. Right now at the Petsmart in my town glofish are on sale for $3 and the glowlight tetras are $1.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #5 
Kenny G

I would like to suggest something if I may. I would call around to a few more pet stores and ask them how do they go about transporting fish safely state to state. I'm sure they can provide great advice and insight. If you love your fish do some research, ask questions, prep your car and take them with you. If there is a will. There is a way. In your situation it just means your going to have to be creative and think outside the box.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #6 
rckstr1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
I don't know what part of Kentucky you are moving to, but I'm in Kentucky and glofish in my area sell from $5 to $6 and I've bought glowlight tetras for around $3 each. Right now at the Petsmart in my town glofish are on sale for $3 and the glowlight tetras are $1.
There are 2 types of tetra's with similar names. One is a glotetra and one is a glow tetra. The one I have is like the glofish, it has the fluorescent genes so it glows under the black light.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

aww good luck! I hope you can transport them safe or find a good home.

Do you have a betta? I can suggest how to transport betta fish.

I hope you find right help on your fishy...but sometimes i don't trast pet stores. It a lot of breeders on this site may be someone will come along to help you.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

I took my bettas from alaska to NY in January. Only 2 made it but that was because of a rather freak accident and had nothing to do with moving them (the backseat window was open, it was -40F outside and my fish were under the window ). Since bettas breathe air, I didn't have to worry about oxygen since they werent in bags.

I would think they would be OK for 14 hours. AB sellers ship fish all over the country and petshops get fish mailed to them. Right? Even if they go express thats still about 24 hours in a bag
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #9 
DKRST

Get a styrofoam shipping box or even a cooler and then you'll keep the temp more consistent for the trip. My Eheim 2215 only uses 9 watts and I can run a small heater and the canister using a 75W DC to AC inverter (under $30) in my minivan.

Personally, I think you'd be fine if you fast the fish for a day or two before the trip (cuts down on waste), box them up in a cooler, use a battery air pump (or use the DC to AC inverter to use a standard air pump!), You should be good to go!
DKRST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #10 
DKRST

Another idea - bag the fish in Kordon breather bags, no worry's about gas exchange then, the CO2 off-gasses and the O2 diffuses into the water. Still recommend using a cooler to prevent temp shifts.
DKRST is offline   Reply With Quote