Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #1 
stephanier

What's wrong with my betta?? please help!!!

Yesterday, I brought home my second betta fish. My first betta lived only 5 days which may be due to the fact that I had him in a 1/2 gallon tank w/ no heater. After doing much research I purchased a 2.5 gallon tank with a proper filter and heater for my new little guy. The water is kept at 78 degrees. When I first put my betta in his new tank, he swam around like crazy exploring for an hour or so. After that, he just began to sit on the top of the tank in the same spot and he has been doing that ever since. He won't eat anything either. My other betta did many of these same things and I really don't want this one to die too!! What am I doing wrong??
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanier View Post
Yesterday, I brought home my second betta fish. My first betta lived only 5 days which may be due to the fact that I had him in a 1/2 gallon tank w/ no heater. After doing much research I purchased a 2.5 gallon tank with a proper filter and heater for my new little guy. The water is kept at 78 degrees. When I first put my betta in his new tank, he swam around like crazy exploring for an hour or so. After that, he just began to sit on the top of the tank in the same spot and he has been doing that ever since. He won't eat anything either. My other betta did many of these same things and I really don't want this one to die too!! What am I doing wrong??
don't worry, many fish when you bring them home will be stressed from the move, and just need time to adjust to their environment. After you bring your fish home, it is normal for ten not to eat fro 1-2 days. BTW< Your tank setup sounds perfect, good for you for doing your research!!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Post pics also!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

He is probbaly just getting used to the new environment. They tend to not eat for a few days at first.

Just keep an eye on him, if he shows any other odd signs and/or this continues for more than a few days, let us know :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He might just need some time to adjust most new fish do. You did use water conditioner right ? What type food are you using ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 
stephanier

Yes, I did use water conditioner. I wasn't sure if I needed to using spring water, but I did it just to be safe. I have a few of different types of food including pellets, flakes, and dried bloodworms. I have offered all of these to my new betta but he hasn't eaten any of them. I've heard that pellets are the way to go for everyday food as opposed to flakes, but I'm not entirely sure.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes pellets are best flakes are so messy and harder to get out of the water. the bloodworms are good for inbetween meals snacks and only 2 or 3 a week is what I feed Perseus. I give 2 or 3 pellets in the morning and in the evening he its two before bedtime. You dont need to use spring water tap water is fine as long as you use the conditioner and also its good to be sure when you do a water change thats is as close as possible to the same temp as the water he is in. Good luck and best wishes for you and your new little guy. I am sure he will be fine and if you need anymore advise remember to make a post for it there is so many good people here always willing to help. Also 78 is a good temp for his water but be sure it stays around 78, Bettas are more active when the water temp is warm so between 78 and 80 is good !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #7 
stephanier

Azul is moving around the tank quite a bit this morning; a vast improvement from yesterday! He still hasn't eaten anything, but his activity level is making progress, so hopefully he will begin eating soon too!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:33 AM   #8 
tanseattle

I think he will be fine. Any home tank is still better at the pet store (so sad conditions).
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #9 
stephanier

Still lots of activity today, but he's still not eating; he just ignores the food in his tank. Should I be worried, or is this still normal?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanier View Post
Still lots of activity today, but he's still not eating; he just ignores the food in his tank. Should I be worried, or is this still normal?
It is still fine. Some bettas will not eat for 1-2 weeks after coming home.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote