Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #1 
toad

Thumbs down Slime!

Hey guys -

Just 10 minutes ago, I did a 50% water change on both boy's tanks (10 gallon, and I just figured out the other is a 3 gallon, which I am excited about. I thought it was only 2). After I siphoned the 10 gallon, I realized that there was some kind of horrific clear slime on the walls of the tank The slime remained stuck the glass above and below the water level after siphoning with a gravel vac. It took me multiple sheets of paper towel to wipe it all off. It was the consistency of mucus, and had no color. I didn't notice an odor, either.

I've had this fish for 3 1/2 months, and have never had slime in the tank. My other boy's tank had no slime, though I use the same water conditioner tabs in both. The only difference is that this tank has a moss ball in it (the slime-less tank has an amazon sword that I am slowly killing ). Is Clyde the moss ball covering my tank in mucus?

No, Clyde! Say it ain't so

ETA: I forgot to mention that I have done water changes 3 times this week, because the water looked so bad after I squeezed Clyde-the-bio-weapon and clouded the tank. The water has a had a horrid film over the top of it for days, and I have been filtering almost constantly, though Howie hates filters (he gets blown around a lot in the current) and I don't usually use one. I've had it running every time I'm home to keep an eye on it (because one day, many moons ago, when Howie and I were new to this, I left the filter on and it sucked him in. I was horrified and vowed not to use them except for clearing the water after a water change).

Last edited by toad; 07-19-2012 at 05:31 PM.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #2 
MSG

Doesn't matter if you do 20 water changes a week, you gotta use one of these.

http://www.lnt.com/product/aquarium-...bbing-pad.html

One is all you need. I've had mine for a couple years now, used it at least 600 times EASILY to clean various things.

Time to buy a new one, because the pad is literally falling apart now.

Big mistake was using it to scrub caked on dirt/algae on a old tank.

If you buy one, make sure when you use it, make sure to rinse in water during cleaning. If you pick up a piece of gravel in the cleaning pad, it will scratch.

Other than that I would highly recommend this pad over the brushes with the pad attached to it.

Those brushes don't allow you to maneuver the edges as well as this hand held one.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #3 
MSG

That mucus stuff you're cleaning off the side I'm pretty sure it's just the natural slime coat on all fish, mixed with the bacteria in the water.

Nothing to be alarmed about, it's part of the fish's anatomy & part of the not so fun part of keeping them as pets.

If you grow flowers/plants you don't plan on consuming, use the water from the changes to feed the plants.

That way you don't have to waste money on that miracle gro plant fertilizer.

Oh yeah, is the 10 gallon a glass tank & the 3 gallon an acrylic one?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #4 
toad

Thank you MSG :)

And yes, the 10 is glass. The same fish was in the 3 gallon acrylic one until a week ago - does the slime only stick to glass?

So glad I have all these wonderful smart fish people to ask for advice ^.^
Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #5 
MSG

Well, I've killed a lot of fish from lack of knowledge/bad advice.

Any container that has water in it will get slimy over 48 hours if any bacteria is present. Plastic/glass/metal/concrete.

The trick to getting the right answer in a forum is asking the right question & phrasing it so everyone can understand what your concern is.

The problem at the petstores, everyone assumes the people who work there are experts, but when you ask, What kind of fish do you have? & they reply, "I don't keep fish", it makes it a lot harder to take their advice seriously.

Any product that I recommend is something I of some of my friends have personally used & had good results with.

Like most things, you get what you pay for, but I like to support the companies that produce quality products.

It's amazing when you come across something aquarium related that was made in the 70's or 80's that still works today.

Save your paper towels & get that fusion acrylic pad. Before I responded to your post, I didn't EVEN know the name of the scrubber I was using & where to buy another one.

Fusion makes one for glass tanks too, but stick with the pad that's designed for acrylic enclosures.

Some tips when using the scrubbing pad....
  • Use small circular motions like in the Karate kid.
  • Apply light pressure
  • Algae spots will require more pressure to remove.
  • Go slow around the silicone sealed edges.
  • Be careful around the silicone seals.
  • Be careful when you're getting close to the substrate, don't get any gravel/grit dirt stuck in the pad.
  • Rinse the pad continuously in the tank while you're cleaning.
Once you're done cleaning with the pad...
  • Rinse it out with cold water
  • Let it air dry until you need it again.
Don't microwave it to sanitize. It's not a kitchen sponge. Air drying is good enough.

Any particles that get dispersed in the water during the cleaning, will be removed with a decent filtration system.

This is another reason to have a standard filter in your tank if you like the water to be crystal clear.

Another note.. I don't remove my fishies when I use the pad. They like to watch and snack on the algae during the cleaning.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #6 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Save your paper towels & get that fusion acrylic pad.
Thank you so much for all the information! I bought the pad today

LOL @ the Karate Kid comment