Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #1 
jman828

I *think* I found the cause of my constant ammonia and nitrite?

Well in a previous post (for those who haven't saw) I was mentioning ammonia and nitrite being constant in low levels and not going away, and I think I just found out why. I think it's because when I rinse my filter media i use hot water which I now know (but didn't before) kills BB. And the BB being mainly in the filter that makes me think by rinsing it's killing them and causing a constant mini cycle. Could that be why? It's an aqauclear 20 in a 10G tank with 25% weekly changes.
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

If you are rinsing it with hot tap water, that could certainly be your cause. Every time you rinse, you create a mini-cycle. Try rinsing with old water from your tank instead.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #3 
scootshoot

you are correct. Just killing off good bacteria this way. Also never replace the filter media unless it's basically falling apart. If it starts to clog up, place the media in a bucket of old tank water and gently rub your hand against the media to remove / loosen deposits and insert back into the filter.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #4 
Mo

There is still no explanation of the nitrites. The nitrites only occur after a tank is *almost* cycled,
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If there is still bacteria in the tank, in the substrate and stuff, then they are still in there, just not enough, hence "mini cycle" and the low concentrations of both.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #6 
jman828

Thanks all, that's what I figured it just "clicked" when I realized the hot water kills and i do remember at one time I actually WAS rinsing in tank water and to be honest have no clue how I started with hot water, but I certainly will not do it anymore!! Thanks for your replies and I'm glad I've finally cracked the case. I've gotta do some rinsing and stuff after my exams tomorrow and I'll use tank water form now on and update this in a while and say if it worked. Thanks again everyone who pitched their feelings! :)
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #7 
jman828

Well, if anyone's still following, as promised I am following up on this. My levels are much lower now and on a rapid decline, and I soon expect will be at 0 once again (so close right now probably like .05ppm or less!) Glad I figured it out and you confirmed it for me (like always, why we love the forum) Cheers! =)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Glad to hear it's all working out for you!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Good news!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #10 
LizzyP

I had the same problem. I was rinsing *everything* in hot water, not just filter media. So it was essentially mini cycling every time I did a 100% change, which was 1 time per week. Glad to hear it is working out for you, too! :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote