Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #11 
Aus

I don't like it.

I realise many people here have bought baby fish, and some have even done really well. But that's people from this forum. Who, sadly, are NOT the vast majority who'll purchase one of those babies.

If it was 3-week old puppies or kittens with their eyes still closed being sold to the clueless, there's be a riot. I don't see this is any different - at all.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #12 
lilyrazen

I almost bought one, to save the poor thing, but I can't encourage it. At first I was hyped, thinking I'd raise my first betta, until I realized I was encouraging something bad.

My petco hides them on a rack not near the others, and only ever has two or three, while they have at least 6 of each adult tail type.

They're taken care of as best as they can (today the adults looked spectacular, except one dead HM that someone had hidden behind a sign), but it's just a bad idea overall.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #13 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
If it was 3-week old puppies or kittens with their eyes still closed being sold to the clueless, there's be a riot. I don't see this is any different - at all.

I absolutely agree.

I was actually referring to the grown bettas in my last post to this thread.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #14 
jenjen182

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
I second this.

I went to Petco for dog food, and inspected all the bettas. Water was clean and they all looked pretty good, except for being in a cup! But compared to the little dude I just dragged home from Walmart, they looked amazing.
Good to know another Petco is doing great! I'm very excited about my new betta friend. Compared to our Walmart and Petsmart, Petco crushes them. The bettas seem happy and healthy!
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #15 
Pogthefish

The ones I see look nothing liek the one in the picture, they look like tadpoles! How am I supposed to feed THAT?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #16 
Aus

^ I wonder how many of those babies perish in tiny bowls choked on fish waste and rotting flakes.

As long as people continue to buy them, the stores will keep selling them.. though I somehow expect it to be a fad that wears off, after a majority of baby fish deaths and people aren't willing to try another one. A lot of little fish will have to die, I think, for that to happen...
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #17 
jenjen182

They don't sell babies here at my Petco: just Crowntails, Veiltails, Doubletails, Deltas, Kings, and Plakats.
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #18 
tpocicat

I think it's a bad idea to be selling those tiny baby bettas. Any of mine that size are still in the grow out tank where they can have plenty of warm clean water and proper foods. My Petco has them, but I would never buy one. The adults usually look good, but the babies I've seen are usually clamped.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #19 
NightSongWriter

I just got two today at my local Petco and the man who sold them to me seemed quite knowledgeable telling me what I was getting into with them. (Although I knew this) Overall they both seem healthy. The one loves to swim about like crazy, where the other is a bit more relaxed and calm.
NightSongWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #20 
LizzyP

My local Petco is awful. I mean, awful. At least 10 dead bettas (that I found in the 5 minutes I was standing there) and a dead boa constrictor. I will NEVER shop at this Petco again, ever. They too sell baby bettas, but I'll never buy one from not only Petco, but any place. I'm not experienced in bettas hardly at all, let alone baby ones.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote