Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #11 
SparklE fin

I've treated for gill flukes already. I used Prazi. I used it for about 5 days. No difference
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #12 
Bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklE fin View Post
... I've been treating him for all kinds of diseases and inbetween it's major water changes and testing the water quality and using carbon something...
I don't understand what you mean by "using carbon something". Are you using activated carbon in your filter?
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #13 
Sakura8

It most likely isn't a fungus. Very few funguses attack our fish. My guess is it's a bacterial infection, probably a secondary infection caused by something else like gill flukes. I honestly don't know much about treating goldfish/coldwater fish so I can't say if the same meds I use for tropicals are all right for goldfish. But I would suggest Seachem Kanaplex as a treatment, if thekoimaiden okays it. Otherwise, my next advice would be 15 minute long aquarium salt baths, maybe one or two a day, at a dose of 1 tsp of salt per gallon of bath.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #14 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Using Prazi for just 5 days isn't going to give you the best treatment. It should be dosed over a period of a few weeks. Liquid prazi is also not very strong. The powder stuff is the best.

I can't see the pictures, but is the fish's gill being eaten away or is the gill cover missing? The arrow pointing to the operculum is what I'm asking about. If it is just the gill, it could be a very stubborn case of parasites.

I agree with Sakura. Not many fungus attack our fish, and the ones that do will kill very quickly once they become an internal infection. More than likely this is a secondary infection that crept in when the fish was weakened by parasites. All medications used for tropicals are safe for goldfish. Go ahead and try the kanaplex. You can also add salt to the water at 1 teaspoon per gallon as a precautionary measure. Goldfish handle salt very well.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Thanks so much, Izzy. :)

Best of luck with your goldfish, SparklEfin.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #16 
SparklE fin

I was using activated carbon to purify the water, getting out the old medicine. I was using powder Prazi, so I should continue it. I have tons, they only had sizes for large ponds. And kanaplex.

It literally looks like its being eaten. Like its being taken away, each day. I think I'll add another air stone though. It looks like he's not even using it anymore. Plus, sometimes, he poops and it looks like a trailing spider web. He's still eating, but he doesn't want to play anymore. He just watches me. I'm getting terrified now
Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Try metronidazole-coated food for internal parasites.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #18 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Also add garlic to the food as it is a proven anti-parasitic. THIS is a great dosing regimen for Prazi (good to know you have the powder). I use this to rid goldfish of parasites.

White stringy poop is a sign of internal parasites which can't be treated with Prazi. Metromed and Medigold are good brands of metronidazole-coated foods, but you will probably have to order them online. You can also make your own gel food with medications in it. Garlic is very easy to add to this as garlic will also increase appetite (use fresh squeezed cloves). THIS is a great medicated gel food recipe (the Lactobacillus Acidophilus tab isn't needed).
Old 07-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #19 
SparklE fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Also add garlic to the food as it is a proven anti-parasitic. THIS is a great dosing regimen for Prazi (good to know you have the powder). I use this to rid goldfish of parasites.

White stringy poop is a sign of internal parasites which can't be treated with Prazi. Metromed and Medigold are good brands of metronidazole-coated foods, but you will probably have to order them online. You can also make your own gel food with medications in it. Garlic is very easy to add to this as garlic will also increase appetite (use fresh squeezed cloves). THIS is a great medicated gel food recipe (the Lactobacillus Acidophilus tab isn't needed).
Thanks! I was doing as you said, now he's doing better. Though he hasnt healed his gills yet. But I suppose it take awhile. His poop is green now like vegetables he eats all of the time. Now he keeps swimming through his hoop, darting the airstone bubbles, pushing his marbles all of the time and just being hyperactive before he fell ill. Thanks alot to all of you, I thought I was going to lose him
Old 07-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #20 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Glad to hear he is doing better!!