Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #1 
Fasht

Yey

After my 1st attempt to setup an NPT, algae took over and I had to start from scratch. So here's my 2nd attempt and tell me what you guys think.
Attached Images

Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #2 
Aus

You may end up with algae again, as you don't have enough fast-growing stem plants to out compete it. OFL recommends that 60% or more of the tank floor should be covered by those (like wisteria, elodea, etc). You can remove them once the tank is established in a few months. I think the heavy planting of the NPT is part of its charm, though.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #3 
Fasht

I actually do have wisteria, its all the way in the back. I also have E. tenelus or something. But its just a piece of it fromt he other tank
Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #4 
Aus

I really like the driftwood you're using. It looks great with the anubias.

Perhaps you can grab a stack more wisteria and whatever other stems are cheap at your lfs, float some and plant the rest for a couple months until the tank is stable. Oldfishlady could tell you better than me how to proceed, though, I'm pretty much a noob at this too. I do know you will need more stems, however. A stack of java moss might help, also.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #5 
Fasht

Thanks, I will do that. Even though I'll be broke soo lol
Old 07-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #6 
Aus

I recently joined a 'local' (to Australia, lol) fish forum and bought some plant packs from other members who advertised.. I got in one pack approximately $150.00 worth of plants for $45.00. Thanks to just two such bargain packs, I will never have to buy plants again, and in fact my have to start rehoming some pretty soon if they all grow well, or my bettas will have no room to swim, lol.

Its very worth seeing what fishkeepers in your area may be selling when they trim their tanks up... I could -never- have afforded the amount and size of plants I got from these Aussie fishkeepers, if I was to buy them from a LFS.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #7 
Fasht

yeah tell me about it, all those plants cost me 40 bucks and there were only few =(