Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #1 
violets4u2

Cleaning the cleaning equipment

May be a dumb question, but how do you clean the equipment used to clean the aquarium such as the algae scrubber, the vacuum and the fish net? *Note, I only use the net to catch the cat fur out of the water.
Thanks.
violets4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #2 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by violets4u2 View Post
May be a dumb question, but how do you clean the equipment used to clean the aquarium such as the algae scrubber, the vacuum and the fish net? *Note, I only use the net to catch the cat fur out of the water.
Thanks.

I just rinse mine in tap water and let them dry. Unless, of course, I do something foolish like cross contaminate with water from a QT, and then I disinfect with vinegar (thank you, Dollar Store, for selling cheap vinegar!), rinse well, and let dry.

Also, this sounds whack, but - When I do water changes, I use my kitchen trash can (with bag removed) to siphon the dirty water into. Then, I dump the water down the toilet and bleach the trash can in the tub. Keeps my trash can nice and clean from being washed all the time, and it's big enough that it won't overflow and slosh and splatter fish water while I'm siphoning.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #3 
battered

Yeah, I just rinse them out as well. I just use airline tubing for water changes, though, and I've been curious as to how to clean the insides of the tubing...
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #4 
MSG

The inside of the tubing is near impossible to clean. If you're crazy you can try cleaning it with the flexible pipe brush & pour a little 5%-10% bleach solution to sanitize the tubing, but I wouldn't bother with it.

Toad, interesting idea. I have a 30 gallon trash can, that might need to be rinsed out maybe once every 6 months, unless something punctures the trash bag, then I give it the garden hose, 5% bleach solution spray. I'm assuming you have a 10-13 gallon trash can.

Do you wipe down the inside down & dry it out before replacing the bag?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #5 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
The inside of the tubing is near impossible to clean. If you're crazy you can try cleaning it with the flexible pipe brush & pour a little 5%-10% bleach solution to sanitize the tubing, but I wouldn't bother with it.

Toad, interesting idea. I have a 30 gallon trash can, that might need to be rinsed out maybe once every 6 months, unless something punctures the trash bag, then I give it the garden hose, 5% bleach solution spray. I'm assuming you have a 10-13 gallon trash can.

Do you wipe down the inside down & dry it out before replacing the bag?
Yes, it's a cheap little 13 gal thing, and it was here when I moved in, so it has Hello Kitty stickers all over it. I keep meaning to get a new one lol. So I bleach it, rinse it, dry it and stick the bag back in, until I need it again
Old 07-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #6 
Kenny G

Its always best to use Distilled Vinegar not bleach when cleaning supplies. I'm really interested in hearing how Cat Fur gets into your tank?
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #7 
violets4u2

Thanks for the cleaning tips. That's what I was doing, but wanted to be sure.
Kenny G I think the bleach toad is using is to clean the container that collects the dirty tank water.
Fur usually gets into the tank while I am cleaning it as the cat is always hanging around watching.

Thanks again
violets4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #8 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by violets4u2 View Post
Thanks for the cleaning tips. That's what I was doing, but wanted to be sure.
Kenny G I think the bleach toad is using is to clean the container that collects the dirty tank water.
Fur usually gets into the tank while I am cleaning it as the cat is always hanging around watching.

Thanks again

Yes, the bleach only goes in my kitchen trash can after I dump the dirty water from it :)

And I totally understand the cat hair - I find dog hairs in my tanks lol.