Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #1 
lilyrazen

A few Qs about planted tanks.

Okay, so I want to plant my divided ten and two and a half, but I have a few issues.

With my uncle's tank, he had a lot of algae and I'd want to add ghost shrimp, at least to the ten for prevention against the algae. They'd be fine with plants, correct?

And, with the divider, the heat is even but the filtration is NOT. It gets the ammonia and other chemicals, but not the big stuff like dust specks and floating things. Would that cause any issues with the plants?

Also, could I replace my decor with plants altogether?

With my smaller tank, it has a biomini filter that takes up a lot of room but also works perfectly and has adjustable flow. Would the plants be at risk with such a large filter, with intake near the gravel line?

Sorry to bombard, but my dad's big on fish (he had a 150 gallon tropical tank when I was a kid) and wants to look into planting my tanks but he's never had a tank under 40.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ghost shrimp won't hurt plants.. I don't think they like algae either, maybe a little bit but if there's anything better available they won't touch algae.
Floaties will not bug plants.
Yes, all planted is what I do, the only other stuff is natural rocks and driftwood in my tanks. No plastic decor at all. Plants won't be at risk with your filter. Just keeping the flow really low is best (just like for betta).

With plants, the proper lighting is key to preventing algae and promoting plant growth.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #3 
lilyrazen

Okay awesome. I just didn't want to jump in and have a bunch of dead plants on my hands!

Thanks for the advice! And I bet your tanks look really good too.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...-105656/page2/
There's some shots there. I put so little effort into it, and the plants explode and no algae problems at all. Lighting lighting lighting!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #5 
lilyrazen

That's really pretty and serene. I'm going to really look into it and save my pennies!