Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #1 
Sapphoira

Just did a tank change, ammonia and nitrites are high??

Hey my dear fellow betta lovers :) I have a question regarding my water parameters after a 100% water change. I have had these two tanks running for about 5 days, and have performed 2 25% changes about every other day. I tested my params after each, and they were within normal and healthy limits. Today was my 100% change, because my tanks are only 2.5g. They are filtered. After the change, I noticed my fish acting pretty stressed out, more so than I thought they should be just with the water change. I tested the water, and my nitrites and ammonia in both are high. I'm using the little test strips, so an exact number is kind of hard to determine it seems, but the nitrites are high at about .5 to 1, according to the little color sheet. (mardel strips, if that means anything) The ammonia is high, at about .2, which according to the sheet is one higher than ideal, but labeled as caution. Should I perform another full water change? could my tap water (treated with Seachem Prime) be high in ammonia for some reason? I did add a tablespoon of aquarium salt to a 5 gallon bucket for my water. Should I pull my fish out? OH and I made a couple of changes to the tanks, I took away the semi aquatic plants and replaced them with silk ones, fully washed beforehand, and in one of the tanks I added a marimo moss ball. HALP! Water chemistry has me freaked out!
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #2 
kfryman

A couple things a 2.5 gallon filtered you only need 2 50% water changes not a 50% and a 100%.

Most likely your tap does have ammonia, maybe as well as nitrite. Prime will neutralize ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates for 48 hours. Don't replace your filters unless you seed them and don't expose them to untreated tap water, as all your bacteria will die. Your tanks are probably just starting the nitrogen cycle. You are going to want to do 3 50% a week, no 100%. That is to keep the ammonia low, nitrite low, and when you have nitrates you can go back to 2 partial waterchanges a week.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #3 
Sapphoira

In the meantime, should I transfer my fish out? Also, does it TAKE prime 48 hours to neutralize the ammonia and nitrites or does it neutralize them for 48 hours? I pretreated my water about 8 hours before I changed the tanks, before I left for work this morning!

Last edited by Sapphoira; 07-22-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Subbing to this thread cos I'm having ammonia in my tap problems... Thanks :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #5 
Sapphoira

Teeny, I read that! I am super confused where all the ammonia is coming from! I was reading another thread about silk plants from Petco potentially causing a spike in nitrites and ammonia, so I've got two potential culprits to watch for and I will have to wait till after work tomorrow for more test strips to set up some tests and establish baselines for each of the components!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Hmm.. Interesting.

I've heard that they up the chlorine levels during the summer because more nasties want to get into our water I guess...

I measured my ammonia straight from my sink and got a .75 ppm reading.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #7 
kfryman

Almost all city water has ammonia in the tap, it is a mix between chlorine and ammonia. Prime neutralizes it for 48 hours, and water conditioner doesn't require any time to treat the water it treats it right there so letting it sit longer isn't effective.

The importance of a cycled really shines when you have ammonia in your tap as when you change your water to remove ammonia, you add a bit in! Though you are most likely going to be taking more out then putting in.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #8 
Sapphoira

Teeny, I don't know if you are still having tap water ammonia issues, but I have good news on mine! After running through all of my Mardel test strips, I went and bought a liquid test kit from API and my ammonia in my tanks and my tap is reading at 0. Possibly was getting false positives with my old test strips! I did treat my tanks with some extra Seachem Prime, just to make sure.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphoira View Post
Teeny, I don't know if you are still having tap water ammonia issues, but I have good news on mine! After running through all of my Mardel test strips, I went and bought a liquid test kit from API and my ammonia in my tanks and my tap is reading at 0. Possibly was getting false positives with my old test strips! I did treat my tanks with some extra Seachem Prime, just to make sure.
Lucky you! Haha...

Actually I'm still having issues. I am testing correctly, tested multiple times, same results. I'm using my API freshwater master liquid test kit.

My tap water has a high ph, 8.2 while my tank is only measuring 7.2. WTF.
I added some prime to brand new tap water & it brought down the ammonia from .75 to .5. Im trying to get some answers as to how much I should add, I don't want to add too much but I want my ammonia lower!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #10 
Sapphoira

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Lucky you! Haha...

Actually I'm still having issues. I am testing correctly, tested multiple times, same results. I'm using my API freshwater master liquid test kit.

My tap water has a high ph, 8.2 while my tank is only measuring 7.2. WTF.
I added some prime to brand new tap water & it brought down the ammonia from .75 to .5. Im trying to get some answers as to how much I should add, I don't want to add too much but I want my ammonia lower!
A friend of mine who has aquariums (just not bettas) told me I could add up to like 5x extra prime if necessary to bring levels down, so I split just less than a cap thread between the two tanks... totally inexact, but that seemed to help and my fish are acting like their normal happy selves now. Maybe experiment with varying levels of prime in tap water, without fish to see how much you need to get to 0 ppm?